Bio Ball dances away its first night

Kelly Madsen

The first ever Bio Ball was held Friday night in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union as an opportunity for students, especially biology majors, to socialize and network outside of class. 

“It has been a good social event and I have been able to meet a few new people,” said Nicholas DeGroote, senior in biology and the Biological Educational Success Team learning community peer mentor.

Nearly 60 students attended throughout the night. The event was free for freshman biology majors.

“It was a good reason to get dressed up. It is fun to see everyone’s semi-formal clothes,” said Abby Neyer, senior in biology and the stand-in president of Biological Sciences Club.

The ball featured catering from ISU Dining, a dance floor with a light and sound system, colorful balloon decorations and a homemade photo booth.

“Everyone seems to really likes the photo booth,” DeGroote said. “There are masks, hats, and mustaches that you can get your picture taken with for fun.”

The leaders of the Biological Sciences Club along with the peer mentors of the learning community said they were pleased with the turn out of the event.

“It is the first year so it was important to establish the event, get the planning organized and get the word out,” Neyer said. “We definitely hope that the event will continue in the future.”

Planning for the event began in October, which helped set up and last minute preparations run smoothly, DeGroote said.

“It has been fun paving the way for a new event,” said Alyssa Burcham, senior in biology and peer mentor for the Biological Educational Success Team. “We had a great planning group, which allowed us to successfully divide and conquer the work.”

The learning community specifically wanted to make this a beneficial event for freshman biology students, as it is important to meet other students and make friends within the major early on, Burcham said.

Leaders of the event said they expect the Bio Ball to be held again in future years, especially because the planning is easier after the first year of an event.

“I am happy with the turn out, and there is definite potential to continue the event in future years,” Neyer said.