Spring career fair serves as second-chance dance, opportunity to practice networking

Katherine Klingseis

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will hold its largest spring career fair this year. Mike Gaul, director of the CALS Career Services, said 105 companies and organizations have signed up to attend the career fair this spring.

“It’s probably up 20 from the previous record,” Gaul said. “Last year, there was bad weather, which caused a few companies from not showing up.” 

This year, the weather appears to be better, which will help with turnout for both companies and students, Gaul said. 

Gaul said 15 new companies have signed up to attend the career fair this spring. He explained that most of those companies are natural resources-related. 

Although this year’s spring career fair is up from previous years, the spring career fair is smaller than the fall career fair. Gaul said the trend in recruitment is changing to companies hiring most interns and employees in the fall. 

“Most companies are done hiring by Christmas,” Gaul said.

However, Gaul has noticed that many companies are beginning to hire for summer 2013. 

“There are some companies planting the seed for summer 2013,” Gaul said. “But, it’s a very small trend.”

In addition to fewer companies and organizations going to spring career fairs, fewer students also attend the spring career fairs too. Gaul said about 1,600 students attended the fall 2011 career fair, and he estimated that 600 students will attend the spring 2012 career fair. 

“What I would hope is that there are less students at the career fair because most students have already been placed,” Gaul said. 

Spring career fair also serves as a way for students to get more experience with networking, Gaul said. 

Mallory Schooley, junior in public service and administration in agriculture, said she believes in the benefits of networking.

“When you go to a career fair, companies can meet you and put a face to your resume,” Schooley said. 

Schooley said she believes she was able to secure an internship at Hartung Brothers, Inc., because the company was able to put her face to her resume.

“That really made a difference,” Schooley said.

Schooley began at Iowa State last spring and attended the spring career fair after talking to Gaul. She recommended that students go to career fairs in order to meet companies and practice networking.

“You should just give it a try — the worst thing that could happen is that you won’t get a job or internship and you’ll be back at the start,” Schooley said. 

Gaul explained that freshmen may be intimidated during the fall career fair. The spring fair offers freshmen and other students who did not secure a position in the fall another opportunity to practice their networking abilities. 

“Spring career fair is like a second-chance dance,” Gaul said. 

To get the most out of career fairs, students should research companies before they go to the fairs, Gaul said. He advised students to be confident when talking to companies.

“The more research you do, the better you’ll do,” Gaul said. “You should walk up confidently and give them a 60-second informercial about yourself.”

Career fairs also give students a chance to learn more about what they want to do and what they don’t want to do for a living, Gaul said. 

Schooley said career fairs show students what kind of job opportunities are out there for them.

“I love seeing new companies,” Schooley said. “It gives me an idea of what’s out there.”

Gaul said career fairs are important to students because they give students the opportunity to talk with companies that could offer them jobs or internships.

“All of these companies come to campus to hire you. What more can you ask for?” Gaul said. “In the real world, there are fewer resources out there. I would recommend taking advantage of the resources now in college.”