Influential ISU women honored in calendar

Leah De Graaf

Twelve women from Iowa State will be honored Thursday for the positive impact they have made on campus. The Carrie Chapman Catt Center for Women and Politics is unveiling its sixth annual Women Impacting ISU calendar for 2012 during a recognition reception in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union from 3:30 to 5 p.m.

“I love the term ‘impacting.’ It implies a true contribution to others and to a whole,” said Dan Rice, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences academic adviser and member of this year’s selection committee.

The calendar, in poster format, displays photographs of the 12 selected women, six students and six faculty or staff members and will be handed out following the unveiling.

“So many of the women chosen are not people that are well known on campus. It’s really bringing awareness to the amazing things that women at every level are bringing to ISU,” said Julie Snyder-Yuly, program coordinator for the center.

Students selected for the 2012 calendar are Molly Heintz, senior in animal science; Aja Holmes, graduate student in educational leadership and policy studies; Ahna Kruzic, senior in sociology; Alejandra Navarro, senior in animal ecology; Kayla Nielsen, senior in psychology; and Jingtao Wang, graduate student in interdisciplinary studies.

Faculty and staff selected are Sharon Bird, associate professor of sociology; Joy Ensley, secretary for the Dean of Students office; Kathleen Jones, associate vice president of Student Affairs and registrar; Susan Lammers, program coordinator of Schilletter/University Village; Shelley Taylor, assistant director of Global Agriculture Programs; and Ann Thompson, professor of curriculum and instruction and director of the Center for Technology in Learning and Teaching.

This year, the committee received 41 nominations. A nomination can be submitted by anyone, but the nominee has to be a current faculty member, employee or student at Iowa State.

“I was impressed with all the nominations,” Rice said. “We continue to have some fantastically talented and motivated women at Iowa State, and they touch thousands of us on a daily basis.”