Ames fitness facilities offer ways to lose weight, stay healthy

Laura Bucklin

Advanced Fitness Performance

2313 Edison St.

Hours: Monday-Friday, 5:30 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday, 7 a.m. to 12 p.m.

Advanced Fitness Performance’s staff is there to support anyone pursing weight management, strength, endurance, balance, speed and agility, or the transition from physical therapy to the world of personal fitness. To do so, it offers great personal training sessions, small-group fitness classes, lifestyle managements and sports conditioning. Its AFP-certified staff is there to create a program specific to your own personal goals and activity level.

Ames Racquet & Fitness Center

Three locations:

2622 Stange Road Suite 101,

320 17th St.,

4700 Mortensen Road

Hours differ at each location but is approximately Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday-Sunday, 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Since 1977, Ames Racquet and Fitness has been carrying out its mission to “promote healthy lifestyle changes for the community” of Ames. From fitness to tanning to child care, Ames Racquet & Fitness Center has it all. Memberships, group fitness classes, personal training and many other programs are available at all three locations in Ames.

Ames Yoga Center

327 Main St. Suite 3

Hours: Schedule online of various classes is available. One can even book online.

Clear your mind at Ames Yoga Center where they offer Bliss Yoga, which is a form of Hatha Yoga. Ames Yoga Center offers an array of classes including: Morning Yoga, Noon Yoga, Evening Yoga, Meditation Class, Prenatal Yoga, and a new Mom & Baby Yoga class. It’s a great place to practice exercise that will make you feel healthy, youthful, strength, vitality and joy.

Anytime Fitness

Three locations:

823 Wheeler St., Suite 6; South 17th Street; 5820 W. Lincoln Way Suite 103

Hours: 24-hour access

Staffed hours vary by location

Want a fitness center that is dedicated to its members 24/7? Not only does Anytime Fitness have 24-hour access and security, but it offers great personal training courses, classes, cardio equipment, strength equipment and much more. It’s also part of the world’s largest 24-hour gym and coed fitness center chain, so members can enjoy Anywhere Club Access at thousands of its fitness centers for the price of a standard monthly membership.

Boanergy Bodybuilding

3911 Tripp St. #9

Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday: 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m., Tuesday and Thursday: 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

Ames residents can get the look of a true bodybuilder by working out with Boanergy Bodybuilding. Transform your body, lose fat and get that rock-hard bodybuilder bod with owner and personal trainer Brandon Oettchen. At Boanergy Bodybuilding, you will get a workout specific to your goals and work ethic.

Curves

620 Lincoln Way #1

Hours: Monday 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Tuesday 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday 6 a.m. to 8 p.m., Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 8 p.m., Friday 6 a.m. to 7 p.m., Saturday 8 a.m. to noon, and Sunday closed

Curves was created for women to offer a complete nutrition and fitness solution. In addition to working out, the Curves staff educates its members about charitable causes and health-related issues, which creates lasting friendships and a global Curves community. There are nearly 10,000 locations in 85 countries and memberships are good at any of these places.

Family Martial Arts Center

231 Main St.

The Family Martial Arts Center of Ames offers classes for anyone big or small. Participants can be a part of a couple fun forms of exercise such as taekwondo or hap ki do. The Family Marital Arts Center also offers classes for children as young as 4-and-a-half years old and up. The after-school program is a great option for any busy parent and provides a unique combination of supervision and martial arts classes.

Farrell’s eXtreme Bodyshaping

231 Main St.

Hours: Monday-Friday classes offered from 5:15 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Saturday classes offered from 7 to 8 a.m.

Are you ready to shed those extra pounds, sculpt a lean body and develop better eating habits? Farrell’s can help you do all of those things. Farrell’s offers a 10-week challenge that includes motivation through fitness kickboxing, strength training and nutrition. Its team will lead you to a new lifestyle, weight loss and increase your muscle mass for a complete transformation.

Fitness Design

3200 Mortensen Road

Call for appointment

Tailor your fitness plan to your lifestyle. With years of experience, Fitness Design will help you every step of the way. This is a great place to be guided and motivated to reach your full fitness potential with personal training options including: weight management, fitness for seniors, post-rehab training, sports training and personalized travel programs.

Goals in Motion

819 Wheeler St. Suite 6

Goals in Motion not only has an awesome nine-week fitness program to whip you into shape, but it offers many other classes including cooking classes. It offers an array of classes including yoga, zumba and more. Join the Goals in Motion community today and be a part of a supportive, comfortable, respectful and successful studio.

Iowa State University Recreation Services

Campus

Administrative Offices: 2220 State Gym

Hours vary based on facility

Iowa State Recreation Services works very hard to provide opportunities for ISU student of all fitness levels. From weight training to cardio to disc golf and ice skating, it has it all. Students also can enjoy the fun of intramural sports with their friends and residence halls at several locations on campus. Also, don’t forget to check out the newly opened State Gym.

Kosama

546 Main St.

Hours: Monday-Friday, 5 a.m. to 8 p.m., Saturday TBA

Is it time for that complete body transformation? Then Kosama is the place for you. Enroll today to enjoy great classes and the chance to win money by simply working out. With Kosama, you don’t just see results, you change the way you live life. Enjoy a variety of classes including yoga, kettleballs, kickboxing, plyometrics, upper-body strength and lower-body strength.

Weight Watchers

319 Clark Ave.

Weight Watchers has been helping people save weight for more than 45 years and now operates in about 30 countries. It not only teaches you how to eat healthy, but it is a great way to feel full and satisfied while losing weight. There is also a large Weight Watchers community there to support you every step of the way. Join today and see the pounds fly away.