Block and Bridle chapter members head to Nashville for national convention

Maia Zewert

Members of Iowa State’s Block and Bridle chapter will travel to Nashville, Tenn., this week for the organization’s 92nd National Convention.

Middle Tennessee State University will be hosting the conference, entitled “Moovin’ To The Music.” The convention is taking place alongside the 2012 Cattle Industry Convention and the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association’s Trade Show.

Iowa State is sending 40 students to the convention,which is the most students attending from one college, including the host school.

“The national convention is a great way to network with people within the industry,” said Jodi Sterle, associate professor of animal science and president of the National Block and Bridle Club.

Radio personality Trent Loos will kick off the event Tuesday night. Loos, a well-known agriculture advocate, hosts and produces his own radio program “Loos Tales” and writes the blog “Truth Be Told,” where he addresses misunderstandings about the agriculture industry.

While at the convention, students will attend keynote speeches and take tours of various locations around Tennessee relating to the agriculture industry, including a Tyson broiler growout facility and RFD-TV, the only television station devoted to agriculture and rural living.

An awards banquet also will take place at the convention. Each club had the opportunity to nominate outstanding students for scholarships.

Iowa State will host the convention in April of next year under the theme “Feed the Need, Ignite the Future.” Right now, the chapter is in the process of contacting speakers and fundraising.

“There are plenty of opportunities to get involved,” said Brady McNeil, president of Iowa State’s Block and Bridle chapter and senior in animal science.

“As a club, we accomplish a lot while meeting new people and having fun,” McNeil said.