International experience enhances students’ academics

Brandon Woods shares his experiences studying abroad in Tasmania.

Frances Myers

Students will have the chance to gather in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Thursday to learn about their opportunities to study abroad.

Michael Misra’s story:

Since his freshman year of college in 2009, Michael Misra, senior in global resource systems, has worked as a student travel consultant for the Agricultural Study Abroad office. He has studied in China and Costa Rica and has more study abroad trips in his future.

“I have always been interested in learning about different cultures and trying new things,” Misra said. “What really exposed me to studying abroad, however, was my freshman year of college when I helped to host 30 Chinese and South Korean students who were visiting ISU. Studying abroad grew to be a good way to see my friends while learning and trying new things.”

Misra emphasized that study abroad has impacted his life in many ways.

“The biggest change for myself is that studying abroad has given me an open mind,” he said. “I try to see policies and other things from both points of view so that I can understand where a person is coming from.”

“Studying abroad also helped to open my eyes to problems that we have in the world,” Misra said. “When you see people struggling everyday against a problem that you might never face, that becomes something you can’t simply ignore anymore.”

Misra has had some diverse experiences abroad.

“Some of the things I have had the opportunity to do so far is to climb a mountain in China where foreigners are typically not allowed to go, Mongolian wrestling in a competition, go to the Oriental Pearl Tower, sleep in a yurt, use a machete on a pineapple, swim with stingrays and fish larger than myself, and of course meeting new friends,” Misra said.

Nicholas Morton’s story:

Nicholas Morton, sophomore in environmental science, traveled to Fiji in fall 2011. He says he loved it so much, he hopes to study abroad again very soon.

“Since I’ve been in Fiji, I’ve gained a new outlook on life and learned to appreciate every little thing that happens because it has a bigger purpose,” Morton said. “When you go to other places, you think it’s just going to be another experience, but it turns out to be so much more.”

In Fiji, Morton danced on national television, visited a Fijian orphanage, and even swam with dolphins in the open ocean during his orientation.

Many students who study abroad find their trips change their outlook on the world around them.

“Programs are often a maturing experience for students because they must learn to live in another country and integrate into another culture where English is not the primary language,” said Erin French, international programs coordinator for the College of Design. “Students learn to be more adaptable, handle stressful situations better and develop leadership skills.

French said students benefit academically from studying abroad because they have the opportunity to take classes that are “integrated with the college’s curriculum, thus helping students not to spend an extra semester or year at ISU.”

Brandon Woods’ story:

Brandon Woods, senior in biology, studied abroad in Tasmania in fall 2010.

“I love traveling, the outdoors and adventure,” Woods said. “I chose Tasmania because I wanted to go somewhere that was new and out of my comfort zone. Tasmania sounded like something that was extraordinary and exotic to me.”

Woods got the opportunity to go cave spelunking, snorkeling in the Great Barrier Reef, white water rafting and explore the national parks that make up approximately a third of Tasmania.

Benefits of studying abroad:

All three students said studying abroad benefits students not only in the present but also in the future.

Woods’ experiences in Tasmania solidified his decision to apply for veterinary school last fall while Morton’s led him to get a job as a peer adviser at the Study Abroad Office.

“Studying abroad has, if anything, actually decreased the time that I will be spending at Iowa State,” Misra said. “I’m majoring in global resource systems and sociology with a minor in entrepreneurial studies. Normally this would increase my time but because of the credits I have received from studying abroad, it’s been drastically cut.”

Misra said studying abroad has also helped with his grade point average. He also said that studying abroad helps with his future job prospects.

“Many organizations are looking for employees that can work in a global market. Studying abroad can also lead to jobs abroad,” Misra said. “In addition, you gain valuable skills such as patience and the ability to not worry about the small stuff. Plus students can get credits for their experience.”

Misra has an internship in Peru planned for the summer. About 50 ISU students completed internships abroad last year, and the number grows yearly as students realize the benefits that the experience provides.

“Many students find that they can get the benefits of working abroad: exposure to a new culture, learning a new language, getting hands-on work experience in their field of study, [and] making connections abroad that can help them later in finding full-time employment after graduation by doing an internship abroad,” said Susan Posch, work abroad program coordinator for the Study Abroad Center.

To learn more about studying and working abroad, students are encouraged to attend the Study Abroad Fair or go to the Study Abroad Center, in 3224 Memorial Union.