Determined dancers keep goals in mind

Sarah Clark, Sarah.

The curtain has closed on Iowa’s 2011 annual high school and college dance championships and the Iowa State Dance Team returns to Ames with glory and determination in mind.

After preparing for months, the Iowa State Gold and Cardinal dance teams took two routines to compete in the Iowa State Dance and Drill Team Association competition in Des Moines, Iowa last Friday.

“I could not have asked for a better performance from both squads,” said Morgan Northway, senior in apparel, merchandising, design and production and co-captain of the Gold squad. “We left it all on the dance floor and didn’t hold anything back.”

The Cardinal squad, bringing home a first place finish in Division A pom, and the Gold squad, bringing home a second place finish in Division A jazz, are pleased with their performances at the competition.

“Cardinal squad did fantastic at state,” said Stephanie Leeds, sophomore in pre-medicine and co-captain of the Cardinal squad. “We went into the competition wanting to perform our best and exceed our performance from last year, and we definitely did.”

Both teams were reigning champions in their categories and the Gold squad has won the state title for the past three years over Iowa, the Northern Iowa and Drake.

This year, the Cardinal squad wowed spectators with a fast-paced, techno-inspired routine while the Gold squad impressed judges with a new, stylized jazz routine.

The squad’s routines really pushed it to the limit this year, members say.

“This year, our state pom routine was noticeably more difficult than last year’s,” said Erica Tramonte, sophomore in marketing and member of the Cardinal squad. “It was a challenge at first, but eventually all of our hard work paid off in the end.”

The Gold squad took the second place finish by receiving only 1.5 points less than the University of Iowa. Both Iowa State and Iowa dancers showed off their talent at last week’s competition.

“I think both universities did a great job of representing their schools and their dance programs,” said Jill Petersen, head coach of the ISU dance team. “The talent in both programs is top notch and for young girls in the state of Iowa who were watching; it should give them great excitement to know the opportunity that is available for them to dance in college and to be a part of a great program.”

Petersen has been coaching the team for 13 years and said the talent and the program progress each year.

“Since I began coaching, the team has grown from nine girls to 36 girls,” she said. “From a team that basically just did sidelines to a team that consists of 2 squads that compete at both state and national competitions, the talent each year just gets better and better.”

The ISU dance team is also led by assistant coach Sarah Stevens who choreographed the Cardinal squad’s winning state routines for the past two years.

Following the cometition’s results, the team is more determined than ever to win back its title next year.

“We left it all on the floor and danced as one on Friday,” said Jenny Dohmen, junior in elementary education and member of the Gold squad. “We gave it our all and will do the same for next year. We are committed to win back the state title with another creative, emotional, strong and powerful dance.”

But next year’s state competition will not be the only thing on the ISU dance team’s agenda. The girls on the team uphold a demanding schedule year round. The ISU dancers are present at all home football and basketball games and even some away games. The girls’ weeks are filled with practices, games, workouts and appearances on top of school work and academic priorities.

Members of the team must also be fulltime students and maintain a 2.0 GPA. Members of the team agree that the busy schedule is the most difficult part about being on the team.

“Dance team affects my schedule because we have things going on every day throughout the year,” said Amy VanWagenen, senior in elementary education and member of the Gold squad. “We have to structure our schedules around practices, games and workouts, and we have to work in appearances as well.”

Following the end of fall semester, the Gold squad will primarily be focusing on the national competition coming up in April.

The team competes at the National Cheer and Dance Association National Championships in Florida every year against several other universities from across the nation.

Last year, the team finished third nationwide behind Brigham Young University and Louisville University.

“Getting third place at Nationals last year was unbelievable,” Dohmen said. “We all wanted top five so badly, but never imagined we would receive third place with a 9.6 out of 10. I will always remember exactly where I was and who was around me when they announced it over the speakers.”

Most girls on the team agree that all the hard work, time commitment and stresses that come as a result of being on the team is worth the glory felt at competitions and games.

“Competing and seeing our dances and team come together and accomplish something we all put so much effort and many hours into is what makes it worth being on this team,” said Christie Cutter, senior in marketing and co-captain of the Gold squad. “No one else besides our teammates can relate to what we are feeling between stress, injury, involvement and pride.”