Editorial: Remembering President Geoffroy’s service to Iowa State

In this, the final editorial of President Geoffroy’s final full semester as president, the editorial board wants to thank him for his service, efforts and attention to students.

Since 2001, he has led Iowa State toward many improvements and through several more turbulent times. We still have Veishea thanks to him, despite its suspension after the 2004 riots. The Big 12 conference still exists, and his fundraising campaign to cushion the effects of less state funding in the past decade was enormously successful, bringing in $867 million.

We have new and renovated buildings, and new seats and technologies in classrooms all across campus make learning more comfortable for students and teaching more comfortable for professors.

He has overseen increases in student enrollment, with larger and larger numbers of students from other states and overseas. The declining enrollment between 2002 and 2007 was reversed, and the number of endowed faculty positions has been doubled.

But what we like, appreciate, and will miss most is this: his devotion to the student body and visibility. If you woke up early enough and were walking between Beardshear Hall and the Memorial Union, you were likely to see President Geoffroy walking to his office. If you attended any sporting event, you were likely to see him somewhere or greeting students in the student section.

We wish President Geoffroy — and you all — a happy holiday and the very best.