Share traditions with those unable to travel home

Family arrives with Christmas gifts.

Each holiday break, most students have the opportunity to drive or fly home to take a few weeks off from schoolwork and enjoy mounds of food, as well as quality time with their families.

Many students take for granted this ability to be with their loved ones over the holiday season and forget to consider those who are a little further from home.

International students are faced with the challenge of returning home over the long university break.

With tuition much higher than what in-state students pay, being able to fund a ticket back home can be a costly venture that some students just cannot afford.

So what do international students do while the rest of us enjoy the comforts of home?

Lana Seiler, administrative specialist at the International Students and Scholars Office, said many of the students who don’t go home find comfort being with one another.

“A lot of students who don’t travel home will spend the holiday season with others of the same nationality,” Seiler said. “Many students find comfort from shared tradition.”

Another option some international students take advantage of is the Friendships International program.

This program pairs students with other students or families from the community and allows them to learn about the true American culture.

“The Friendship International program promotes social connections with American families,” said GP Foote, team leader for Bridges International program and community coordinator for the Friendships International program.

“This program gives students the opportunity to become immersed in American culture and can help give a more accurate picture of American families, as many of the ideas international students get are from the media.”

Although the traditions of these families may be different than what international students are used to celebrating, many international students find this as an opportunity to learn.

“Many international students who wouldn’t normally celebrate these holidays want to get involved and experience them,” Seiler said.

About 60 international students take part in the Friendships International program each semester.

For those in the community interested in getting involved with the Friendships International program, visit the International Student and Scholars Office in the Memorial Union.

The group’s website at www.isso.iastate.edu also provides more information about the program and what to do to participate.