Runoff election profile – Chuck Jons

Ashley Seaton

Chuck Jons

Born: April 18, 1940

Hometown: Sac City, Iowa

Family: wife Caroline, son Steve, two daughters Susan and Sarah, five grandkids

Occupation: Air Force Veteran; ear, nose, and throat surgeon at McFarland Clinic for 27 years

Prevalent Issues: CyRide; Building tax base for city projects without increasing taxes; Improving Campustown; “Improve the research part of Ames to succeed so that more jobs are available to graduate and undergraduate students.”; “Concerns of long-term prospects of no growth”

Changes: Continue to be more business-friendly, issues of building codes and inspection; “Let’s build our own jobs.”; Making Campustown more business-friendly and offering variety for students and citizens; Growth of city versus continuously going to Ankeny and Des Moines for shopping and entertainment; More retail opportunities; Balancing ideas of people to create “self-sustaining”; “I can’t ever see Ames becoming a big city; it’s always going to have a small college-town feel.”

Why people should vote for Jons:

“I think I respect what ISU means to Ames. Because of that, I want to help ISU in any way I can and see them succeed. I think City Council can partner with them to create a vision, whatever that vision may be. Part of Ames’ job is to help prepare students for life as an adult. It’s our responsibility to help create a positive experience. The city has been on the university’s coattails for the last 20 years. It’s time to help each other out.”