Faculty Senate passes professorship, athletic training major proposals

Aimee Burch

The Faculty Senate passed a proposal Tuesday that will establish a Morrill Professorship.

“This recognizes teaching in all forms,” said Steve Freeman, Faculty Senate president. “The current titles of university professor and distinguished professor do not cover all of the university’s missions. This will fill the gaps.”

The senate also passed proposals to discontinue the undergraduate major in insect science and to create a standalone undergraduate major in athletic training.

Two items of new business were introduced at the meeting — both to be voted on at next month’s meeting. One proposal presented hopes to establish a standalone minor in U.S. Latino and Latina studies available through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.

“This is exciting and we are looking forward to offering this with a variety of majors,” said Loreto Prieto, member of the senate and contact person behind the proposal. “It is a timely minor and will add to an LAS student’s study.”

A proposal for making changes to Section 2.6 of the Faculty Handbook stirred up much debate among the senators. The proposal outlines possible amendments to this section dealing with various governance documents, particularly with regard to budgetary committees. The amendment requires that at least half of a committee be elected by the faculty who will then make specific budgetary decisions.

There were many concerns about having representative appointments to a budgetary committee. Freeman said that should this amendment pass, the elections will be similar to those used when electing at-large senators.

“This process is consistent with the principles of shared governance,” said Faculty Senate member Suzanne Hendrichs, showing her support for this measure.

Senators also were given a presentation by Mike Otis, associate director of Human Resource Services. Otis gave an overview of health insurance benefits changes in this open enrollment period. Otis encouraged members to look at their benefit confirmation review and keep track of changes and questions, especially because a lot of provider requirements are in flux with the current legislation and the possibility for more changes given the current election cycle. Faculty can view a Live Connect Web Cast of these changes 10:15 a.m. Wednesday.

Provost Betsy Hoffman also presented senators with an update on current appointments. Hoffman said the search for a new LAS dean is winding down, with a possible appointment coming before Thanksgiving. She also said that the search for a new dean of the College of Business will start soon, with recruitment and evaluations possibly taking place in February.

The next Faculty Senate meeting will take place Dec. 6.