Students try out for the Fashion Show

Erin Coppock

Iowa State students came dressed to impress on Monday at the modeling tryouts for the Spring 2012 fashion show.

The waiting took longer for some than the actual tryout, but when called, models went into a room to walk for the panel of judges. The judges consisted of Natalie Gendle, faculty adviser for the show, Lisa Bradshaw, Kate Howe and Michelle Klas, the three producers, and Brittany Guzek, Jessie Lee, and Sam Silver, the modeling directors.

Each audition was quick, lasting approximately five minutes. Each model tried out in a group of four to five others, walking first with the group and then alone. Music was on as each model walked, and the judges sat at the front watching and evaluating each model.

Models of all shapes and sizes were in attendance, and according to Guzek, anyone who is willing to put in the effort is encouraged to try out.

“We look for models of all types. There is no one specific look,” Guzek said. “They need to have a positive, hardworking attitude, be willing to learn, and be excited about the show. This year we are really looking for upbeat, fun and smiling models. The only requirements of the models is that they need to be an Iowa State student and in good academic standing.”

The annual Textiles and Merchandise Fashion Show will be held on April 14 and this year marks its 30th anniversary. The event is a student run, and each year brings new apparel, guest designers and models.

Hopeful models arrived in the LeBaron lounge from 6 to 9 p.m. and waited for their opportunity to walk for the judges. Before their tryout, models signed in and got their measurements and pictures taken by different committee members.

Anna Schowe, junior in apparel, merchandising and design, attended the tryouts in hopes of being picked to walk in the show a second time.

“I got the opportunity to walk in the show my freshman year, which was the 2010 show, and I had a lot of fun,” Schowe said. “I wasn’t too nervous to try out because I’ve already done it. I was studying abroad last year during the show, so I wasn’t able to try out, but I’m excited to potentially be a part of it again.”

Kari Sindelar, senior in elementary education and a past model for the show, was disappointed by the fact she will not be able to be a part of it again.

“I’m so bummed I can’t model this year,” she said. “My favorite part of the entire modeling experience was meeting so many new people, from the other models to all the directors and committees. I made a lot of new friendships, and I loved being around such creative processes that I’ve never been a part of before. I was also especially lucky because I got to model one of the couture wedding dresses from the guest designer last year, [ISU alum] Matthew Christopher. I’ll never forget what it was like to wear one of those gorgeous gowns.”

Models that are chosen not only get the opportunity to meet new people and gain experience in runway modeling, they also receive one academic credit. This is in large part due to the commitment required of the models.

“There is definitely a time commitment for the models chosen for our show,” Guzek said. “We have practices to help teach choreography, which take place every other Sunday in the evening. Along with the practices there are dress rehearsals, a fit night, judging day and then the actual show.”

The models who try out are informed of the time commitment beforehand, but some find it to be a little overwhelming.

“Personally the time commitment is fine for me, but I know from when I did the show my freshman year, some models found it to be a lot,” Schowe said. There is a lot of practice that goes into it, and the day of the show is very stressful.”

Tryouts will take place again Thursday from 6 to 9 p.m. in the LeBaron Lounge. For inquiries, email [email protected].