Dairy Science Club gets involved

Photo: Tessa Callender/Iowa State Daily

Members of the Iowa State Dairy Science Club, Cameron Hall, sophomore in global resource systems, Lacey Lund, junior in animal science, and Joelle Merkes, junior in dairy science, sell ice cream to interested students and faculty. The club mixes its own ice cream in the Kildee Meats Lab and sells it every Wednesday outside of Lush Auditorium in Kildee Hall from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. for $1 per cup. Flavors offered include: vanilla, strawberry, mint, Butterfinger, Snickers, Twix, Oreo, chocolate and Reeses’ peanut butter cup.

Maia Zewert

Iowa State’s Dairy Science Club is more than just milk and ice cream.

The Dairy Science Club is one of the 35 student organizations within the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. There are 75 members of the DSC with majors ranging from dairy science to agriculture education.

Leah Henkes, senior in dairy science, has been a member of the club since her freshman year. Henkes now serves as the club’s president.

“The DSC offers a place for students to get to know each other,” Henkes said.

Nicole Hershberger, sophomore in dairy science, has been involved with the DSC for two years.

“I joined the Dairy Science Club as a freshmen because I was a dairy science major looking to get to know other people in my major with similar backgrounds and goals,” said Hershberger.

Even though it may not be the biggest club on campus, the DSC is possibly one of the most involved. Besides selling ice cream, the DSC has various activities it does throughout the year, including community service events and attending conferences. The club runs an event called “I Milked a Cow” during Veishea and the Iowa State Fair — the club’s largest fundraiser.

“It’s great to help teach people how to milk a real cow and see that excitement come across their face,” Hershberger said.

The club also volunteers at Food at First, where they make a meal once a month for the less fortunate people in the community.

Being in the DSC also gives members the opportunity to meet other students in the dairy discipline. This February, the club will attend the Regional American Dairy Science Association Conference where they will attend education presentations while getting to meet other individuals who are also passionate about the dairy industry.

As one of the smaller groups on campus, the DSC capitalizes on its size, making the group feel more like a family.

“We focus on helping students learn more about the dairy industry while making connections that will last a lifetime,” Henkes said.

The Dairy Science Club sells $1 cups of homemade ice cream outside of Lush Auditorium in Kildee Hall every Wednesday.