College of Design prepares for upcoming events

Kaitlyn De Vries

Big things are happening at the College of Design.

Changes were discussed at a town hall meeting for interior design students at Kocimski Auditorium this week.

One of many topics discussed was interdisciplinary option studios where architects, interior designers, landscape architects and regional planners will meet once a semester, “to better inform the entire student body in design about the program options and choices available to them,” said Lee Cagley, director of art and design. “We want to exceed our best expectations (as faculty) to allow you to exceed your best expectations for yourself (as students).”

As midterms are coming up, students are beginning to register for classes, and now is the time seniors begin thinking about master programs.

A change has occurred within the structure of the program in which undergrads can take graduate coursework for a test drive without entering the program. Specifically, the requirements for the Concurrent MA Program were explained by Fred Malven, associate professor of art and design.

“As of this year for the first time, undergrads can participate in the graduate programs,” Malven said. “Two programs – Master of Arts and Master of Fine Arts – benefit students of any college to expand their portfolios, create an opportunity for specialization, create advanced credentials or if you have that significant other and need to stay in town.”

Cagley said students can look forward to creating collaborations that are more inclusive with other majors such as engineering.

“We want to make sure your education is the most valid possible – so many possibilities in design have a wide range of professional outcomes. We want everyone well-supported,” Cagley said.

Erin French, International Program Coordinator of the design administration, spoke about the Rome Study Abroad Program that marks this year as the 20th year of its existence.

“Benefits include European lecturers, portfolio building and gaining global perspectives,” French said. “Other study abroad opportunities are available to the whole university, which includes field studies in Chinese architecture with Paul Shao for two weeks in May, Summer Academy in Berlin, Germany, for five weeks or a student exchange program held in Turkey.”

The Rome Show, which is Feb. 4 through Feb. 24, and the Global Rome Retail Studio Show is March 19 through March 23. Other changes occurring is that ISU Rome students are now working in tandem with ISU students in America through computer software to create a more valuable experience and connectivity.

Scholarships for design students and study abroad were talked about as the deadline has moved up one month due to the conflict of students making their financial commitments to studying abroad. When and how to apply was spoken about by Amy Mikovec, senior lecturer of art and design.

Pam Iasevoli, assistant professor of art and design spoke about career days and Interior Design Student Association participation. Sixty to 80 firms are coming to the Memorial Union and are in need of people to form committees.

“It is an excellent opportunity to spend time and show your face to professionals in your industry,” Iasevoli said.

Specific meetings for each discipline will be held throughout the year.