AGC assists in Youth & Shelter Services handicap ramp

Carly Mckinney

This semester, members of the ISU Associated General Contractors Student Chapter have assisted in the construction of a new handicapped-accessible ramp at the Youth & Shelter Services of Eastern Story County main office.

AGC is a group for construction engineering majors.

“One of [the] main focuses is community service,” said Andy Hodge, junior in construction engineering and community service representative for AGC.

The office, located in Nevada, contacted AGC last semester and requested that the community service-based group assist in the construction process. Story County farmer Nancy Couser, who won a $2,500 donation from America’s Farmers Grow Communities, has made the project possible.

The program is sponsored by Monsanto and is currently active in 39 states attempting to help farmers give back to their communities.

Paul Spooner, public relations representative for the program, said they’re trying to create a “voice for the farmer.”

Through the donation from Couser and the labor of AGC, Youth & Shelter Services is working to meet requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. The shelter will also be gaining reaccreditation from the Commission on Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities.

The shelter in Nevada serves communities in the area, including Collins, Colo, Maxwell, McCallsburg, Nevada and Zearing. They help to provide families with multiple services, such as after-school programs, adoption services, runaway and homeless services, foster care and counseling services, among others. Now, with the updated and various other renovations that AGC and Couser have made possible, YSS will be able to serve even more people near the community.

The project also has provided members of AGC with hands-on job experience.

“With all of our construction projects we do, it’s great for students to come out and get more experience not on an actual job site,” Hodge said.

The group enjoyed gaining the experience, although members are not getting paid.

They are “just donating time,” Hodge said, but they also are making YSS capable of meeting requirements and assisting more people in need.