CALS Week to feature lectures, promotional events

Maia Zewert

The College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will be kicking off its CALS Week this Monday.

The week, themed “Our Roots Run Deep,” is filled with various events and activities geared toward promoting the success in the college.

“CALS Week is important because it touches everyone in the college,” said CALS Student Council President Darrin Rahn, senior in agricultural business.

Every day during the week, all ISU students are invited to attend free luncheons on Central Campus put on by industry sponsors, including FC Coop, Iowa Cattlemen’s Association, Land O’Lakes and Johnsonville, among others.

Throughout the week, there also will be featured speakers. Monday night, Pedro Sanchez, a leader in the global war against hunger, will speak in the Memorial Union Great Hall at 8 p.m. as a part of the 2011 Norman Borlaug Lecture series.

Another featured speaker is former Iowa Gov. and current U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack. Vilsack will give a lecture Tuesday evening entitled “Global Food Insecurity.”

Besides lectures and free lunches, CALS Week also gives a chance for clubs within the college to promote themselves. Tuesday, the Forestry Club will be having a Timbersports Demonstration on Central Campus. On Wednesday, the 26 groups and organizations will be on Central Campus for the Club Showcase.

Alpha Zeta, a co-ed agriculture fraternity, will be sponsoring a food drive throughout the week, also a competition between the 26 clubs. The club that donates the most food will receive $75.

“We really wanted to make sure the College of Agriculture gave back to the community this year,” said Alpha Zeta member Rachel Owen, senior in global resource systems.

All donations received during the week will go to the Ames branch of Mid-Iowa Community Action, Inc.

Wednesday night, rising country singer and current ISU student Neil Hewitt will perform a free concert on Central Campus at 8 p.m. According to Rahn, the concert is sure to be one of the week’s highlights.

The week concludes Saturday, with the Block & Bridle Little North American Showmanship Classic starting at 8 a.m. in the Kildee Pavilion and the Iowa State Fall Festival.

To help commemorate the week, CALS Week T-shirts, sporting the “Our Roots Run Deep” motto, will be sold at each of the free luncheons. Shirts can be purchased for $10.