Fall Career Fair offers students internships, job opportunities

Photo: Huiling Wu/Iowa State Daily

The Business, LAS and Human Sciences Career Fair was held Wednesday, Sept. 28, 2011 at Hilton Coliseum. The Career Fair provides students with opportunities, such as internships and full-time jobs at various companies, as well as other chances to network.

Amelia Thorne

The fall Career Fair on Wednesday Sept. 28. at the Hilton Coliseum was held for ISU students and other job seekers to look at internships and full time job opportunities.

Taren Reker, program coordinator for Liberal Arts and Sciences Career Services, said, “Even if they aren’t looking for jobs or internships, it’s good for networking and for students to be in a professional setting.”

Businesses were there to discuss different positions they offer, who they are looking for, financial information and helping students explore different career path opportunities.

Patty Alley, from Iowa Army National Guard, revealed some of her tips.

“Students should come prepared to sell themselves and do research before they come,” she said. “They should visit booths they are most interested in. Also, if freshmen are not here, they are making a big mistake.”

Hilton was filled with eager job seekers bustling around trying to find their niche as employers welcomed approaching students with a hand shake and a smile. Many familiar businesses attended the fair such as Target, John Deere and Best Buy.

After walking through the fair, sophomore in pre-business Candice Revita said, “The employers are looking for students who are equally excited about their companies, and there are a lot of good opportunities here, and the employers give good tips about future careers.”

Overall, this fall’s career fair had a terrific turn out.

“This year’s Career Fair is different from ones in the past because we have around 20 new employers attending, so there will be a lot of new faces that the students might be interested in,” Reker said.