ClubFest to host recruiting event for student organizations

Heather+Deaton%2C+senior+in+English%2C+presented+for+the+ISU+Fencing+Club+on+January+19%2C+at+Great+Hall+in+Memorial+Union.+

Photo: Shiyao Liu/Iowa State Daily

Heather Deaton, senior in English, presented for the ISU Fencing Club on January 19, at Great Hall in Memorial Union.

John Lonsdale

Students interested in sex, how to solve a Rubik’s cube, sports, writing, knitting or various other activities are in luck Wednesday.

In hopes of recruiting new members, more than 250 clubs and organizations will congregate in the Great Hall, Campanile Room, Oak Room, Sun Room and South Ballroom of the Memorial Union for ClubFest from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Despite the more than 800 recognized clubs and organizations on campus, only a sample will have booths with members from each, giveaways and informational hand-outs available to those who attend.

Matt Mallett, junior in computer engineering, has attended ClubFest every year of college and plans on attending this year’s event.

Mallett, who just joined Student Union Board, plans to visit numerous booths, as he does every year — particularly the Robotics Club and IEEE, a club spreading the knowledge of electrical and computer engineering.

He also cited the giveaways in the past, his overall curiosity of the clubs and the people who have potentially similar interests he does as some of the various reasons for attending.

“It’s a great way to get involved with like-minded people,” Mallett said.