Leadership & Service Center holds grand opening at Memorial Union

Dr. Thomas Hill and Richard Reynolds cut the ribbon for the new Leadership and Service Center, in the East Student Office Space of the Memorial Union, Wednesday, Sept. 21. This center is a resource for students to explore their leadership and service journeys.

Ben Theobald

The Leadership & Service Center had its grand opening at the East Student Office Space at the Memorial Union on Wednesday.

The center will provide student organizations advice on how to run their organization as well as provide resources to help improve those organizations.

Tom Hill, vice president of student affairs, and Richard Reynolds, director of the Memorial Union, attended the opening ceremony.

“Leadership and services are two key components of the Iowa State experience,” Hill said. “This center will help students get assistance and develop those skills.”

Reynolds is excited about this new addition and what opportunities it will give to students and the organizations that they represent.

“Students will have the opportunity to meet with a variety of consultants to discuss personal leadership development on leading organization or ways of making their organization more effective,” Reynolds said. “The resources that they offer will make a popular destination on campus for students who are seeking leadership skills development and community service opportunities.”

Consultants will be available at the Leadership & Service Center for individuals and organizations to help develop their mission.

“I think organizations throughout this year will struggle with various things,” said Erik Kahl, graduate assistant-administrative. “Some organizations, just by nature through the experience of some of its members, can really hit the ground running, and it puts other organizations whose membership is not experienced at a disadvantage. I think this is a way to help those groups establish themselves.”

There are over 800 student organizations on campus.

“We have some amazing organizations,” said Jamison Arends, senior in supply chain management and a consultant for the Leadership & Services Center. “This center will hopefully help with enhancing those organizations and improving the Iowa State experience.”