Professorship given to Thomas Leslie, first Iowa State University Design professor to receive honor

Alex Smith

In the College of Design Professor Thomas Leslie recieved a great honor, the Pickard Chilton Professorship.

This professorship gives funding to the winner to perform research. With this funding Leslie plans to help the university and do some research he couldn’t have done without the funding. Leslie says it gives him a reason to get the research he has wanted to do for a while. In the release found on the Iowa State Website, Professor Gregory Palermo director of the architecture program said, “Professor Leslie brings together significant practice experience and an exemplary teaching record with a clear scholarly research program.”

“It’s always good to be recognized.” said Leslie. The research he is now capable of doing is what Leslie feels is more important than recognition. He will be studying the works of Italian architect, Pier Luigi Nervi. Leslie stated that he was most interested in Nervi’s works because he trained as an architect, designer, and an engineer. “His structures are all based in science and engineering,” says Leslie, “but they also always appeal to the eye.” With the professorship Leslie intends to go to Itally to see the buildings in person to see how they work, what materials they use, and get a better feel for the work. He also plans to go to Rome where Nervi’s archives are kept so he can get see what information can be taken from them. He then will come back to Ames and bring essays together with the new found information to make a book.

Not only will Leslie be doing research on Nervi, but he will also be helping the university. He is trying to bring back an interdisciplinary pilot Design Science course. Many staff and students are interested in bringing this course back and are hoping for success. When asked how this will affect his teaching in classes he said, “It lets me do them in an innovative way.”

Leslie had many research ideas and aspirations. He says all they needed was funding and time. This is just the push he needed. Congratulations to Thomas Leslie for this honor, and to Iowa State University for another outstanding employee.