Horrible, terrible, no good Cy-Hawk trophy

Photo courtesy of Andrea Melendez/The Des Moines Register

The new Cy-Hawk trophy was on display Friday at the Iowa State Fair.

The Editorial Board is something readers have become accustomed to seeing on the Opinion page. The Daily Board takes a stance on an issue and puts it to print for everyone to debate.

The Sports Editorial Board is now here to do the same for everyone who loves sports and discusses it on a regular basis. We’ll likely have opinions you don’t like and hopefully ones you do. For today, there’s something that’s on our minds we believe the majority of people on campus can agree with.

The new Cy-Hawk trophy is awful. No other word can be used.

By now I’m sure you’ve seen the trophy and have probably winced. The public outcry has been overwhelming, and Iowa Corn didn’t exactly handle things well.

The Iowa Corn Growers Association, which sponsors the trophy, stood by it after initial backlash, tweeting on Aug. 19 that “We think it is a good trophy and we are proud of it. Worked with ISU and U of I the whole way.” In the days that followed, the Twitter account — which functions as the public relations account for Iowa Corn — made its tweets private, meaning they must grant users access to follow their account.

They unlocked the account Monday while announcing they have scheduled a press conference for Tuesday at 2 p.m. to discuss the trophy, tweeting “…let’s all play nicely.”

Never before have both Iowa State and Iowa fans been so united on one topic. The Iowa State Daily online poll revealed that 94 percent believed it was the worst thing they’d ever seen. The Daily Iowan — the University of Iowa’s student paper — reported numbers almost identical.

Even Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad weighed in at the Iowa State Fair.

“I think they can do better,” Branstad told the AP on Monday when asked about the trophy. “I’m sure they’re going to take another look at that.”

Legendary Iowa Hawkeyes football coach Hayden Fry even weighed in.

“The farmer, family and corn is all wonderful, but I don’t really get the relationship to a football game,” Fry told The Des Moines Register.

ISU students have weighed in as well. Some, among other people, have created and joined a Facebook group called “Hate the new Cy-Hawk Trophy.”

“I’d rather have [the old trophy] than the one they have now,” said Nick Davenport, a sophomore in agricultural business. “It’s got to be more sports-oriented.”

It appears as though Iowa Corn has listened to the pleas from fans and public officials alike. Both University of Iowa and Iowa State University officials will be present at the press conference, a hint that a change might be possible.

Please, everyone involved, change the trophy. It’s a beautiful statue that we’re sure was painstakingly prepared, but it simply has nothing to do with football.

If there isn’t a change, expect fans of both schools to definitely not “play nicely.”