Roommates that play together stay together

Krupali Desai

The start of the school year is nearing. When it begins, some of you might be living in places you will share with fellow students for the first time. While others of you might be familiar with sharing your place. Whatever your experience is, applying the expert tips below will gurantee you a great time.

Talk it out

While you share a living space, your relationship with your roommate affects your and your roommate’s experience. Like any relationship, the one you have with your roommate requires a lot of communication. 

Susan Lammers, hall director for Schilletter and University Village, suggests you determine in advance who will clean what, how you feel about guests in the space, how you might share and split food, and how cleaning duties might be shared.

If done with consideration and openess, communication will make your relationships with roommates uplifting and natural. 

“Discuss past roommate experiences and what you all expect from one another,” said Quiana McKenzie, graduate in educational leadership and policy studies and assistant community director at Frederiksen Court. “When I meet with students, it’s often because they did not have this conversation and the tension between them has become intolerable.”

McKenzie said roommates need to address their problems head on.

“Maybe your roommate does not know how to fill or use the dishwasher. Maybe your roommate had a really rough day and did not remember to empty the dryer,” she said. “Honest and polite communication is invaluable in any roommate situation.”

One of the great things about living in college town like Ames is that you get to hang out and chill with friends and neighbors. Before you plan one of your pleasant gatherings, however, it is a good idea to talk about it with your roommate.

“When considering guests, think about creating a calendar on which everyone can list their major papers and exams,” McKenzie said. “It may not be a good idea to have guests over when you know your roommate will be stressed about a big paper or exam.”

Keep it tidy

“The independence [of living in apartments] is exciting,” said Molly Slattery, senior in kinesiology and health and community advisor for Frederiksen. “But be prepared that you may have to spend time on chores you hadn’t in the past.”

A clean apartment or house not only keeps colonies of germs at bay, but it also makes your place welcoming to you and your roommates.

“Respecting the other people you live with by cleaning up after yourself is a great habit to get into,” said Josh Knust, senior in mechanical engineering and president of Interfraternity Council.

Keep your space organized and looking and smelling nice. This will help you find your items more efficiently. 

“Make sure that the chores alternate from roommate to roommate each week,” McKenzie said. “No one wants to get stuck cleaning the bathroom all year.”

Planning and talking about cleaning duties is also important. One roommate may assume the other will clean something at a certain time, but he or she may not know that. Unless all involved parties communicate, there can be discord.

“I certainly recommend being open and agreeable to helping your roommates pick up as this is a friendly gesture and makes your roommates more likely to help you in the future, too,” Slattery said. “Ultimately, however, it’s important to take responsibility for any messes you make.”

Balance spending time with friends and studying

As you watch your favorite shows together, go on shopping trips and play video games, school sometimes may slip lower on your list of priorities. Don’t forget to schedule some dedicated study time.

“The hustle and bustle [of communal living] has never bothered me, but it can be distracting when you’re trying to get some things done,” Knust said. “Don’t be afraid to use all of the study spaces offered on campus and local churches.”

You and your roommate (or roommates) can actually inspire each other to do better in school. If you manage not to get too distracted by non-academic matters, studying together can help you more than studying alone. Sometimes watching your friends studying nearby can motivate you to follow suit if you’re not in the mood to concentrate.

Make the most of your shared living experience

You will only get to live with fellow students for a few years.  Why not make those few years enriching and productive by developing relationships? Knust suggests branching out and meeting as many people as possible.

“Hang out in your own room as little as possible,” Knust said.

Making friends with your roommates can make your experience heartwarming. Caring for your roommates as you would your family engenders a constructive attitude. You might make a baking or road-trip buddy who turns out to be a lifelong friend.

“Don’t assume that you and your roommates have nothing in common. Sometime similarities are buried beneath the surface,” said McKenzie.

Taking time to learn more about who you are living with can be an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

“There are good songs found in every genre. You just have to keep listening,” said McKenzie. “The same applies to people.”