LGBTA Alliance and Friends welcomes back returning students, newcomers

LGBTA Alliance & Friends had an ice cream social and open house Wednesday night. Students were able to play games and visit info booths while enjoying free ice cream.

Ben Theobald

The Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Alliance and Friends, along with the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Student Services, hosted an ice cream social and an open house Wednesday evening.

The purpose was to welcome new students and educate them about the history the program has had at Iowa State.

“We’re informing people that we do exist,” said Anna Howie, president of LGBTA. “We are opening communication between new students and old students as well as showing the services we have in the Ames community.”

There were many activities and giveaways at the event. The event was a way for students to socialize and learn what resources are available to them.

“Students know that they are not alone,” said Brad Freihoefer, director of LGBTSS. “There are many folks on campus who may share some experiences, identities or are just a part of a good community here at Iowa State.”

Sahid Taha, freshman in electrical engineering, was one of many students who took part in the event.

“I love supporting the gay community and wanted to help out,” Taha said.

Next February, Iowa State will be hosting the Midwest Bisexual Lesbian Gay Transgender Ally College Conference. It is the largest student-run LGBQTA conference in the country. The conference started at Iowa State in 1993 and came back to Ames again in 2004.

Howie is looking forward to incoming students as new perspectives.

“We’re going to need a lot of assistance,” Howie said. “We will open up all the networks to make the conferences as big and wonderful as possible.”

Freihoefer sees the conference as a valuable learning opportunity for students.

“It is an incredible experience,” Freihoefer said. “There will be LGBQTA issues as well as opportunities to network with each other and learn. It really concentrates on the community-building and identity development.”