Make your own home gym

Stephen Koenigsfeld

With summer ending and the fall semester beginning, most students will find themselves preoccupied by a countless number of thoughts. One of these thoughts may be how they’re going to stay in shape, or how to get in shape for the coming semesters.

Iowa State has a few recreational facilities right on campus, but if you would prefer to exercise at home, the best way to do so would be to make a home gym.

Benefits:

First of all, you pay no membership fee for a home gym (unless you count rent.) Also, you have the freedom to work out at whatever time that is convenient for you. If you feel like working out at 2 in the morning, you don’t have to worry about your gym being closed.

Having a gym at home also saves you a lot of travel time. You don’t have to waste time going to the gym and back home every time you want to work out.

What you need:

Making your own home gym is not difficult at all. Listed below are some fairly inexpensive items you can buy to make your home gym:

Dumbbells:

These are easy-to-obtain free weights that help tone the arms and back. They are easy to store under a bed or in a closet. These are the most commonly used components of a household gym.

Bench:

A bench press setup with different weight plates is also a good addition to a home gym. The bench could just be one you purchase at a Home Depot or one you have already have in your apartment. You may only have to buy the weights and the bar. 

Resistance Bands:

These are cheap, easy-to-store pieces of equipment that can help you tone almost any part of your body. Some easy workouts you can do with these are assisted pull-ups, push-ups against bands and mobility exercises.

Expert advice:

Nora Hudson, recreation services program coordinator, has some advice for incoming freshmen.

“One of the most important things to keep down is a balanced workout,” she said. “Push-ups, sit-ups and dips are great.”

It is essential that you don’t over-do your workout in the first couple months. Keep a balanced workout and do it consistently.

“Thirty minutes a day and doing one day [of] cardio, then the next strength is a good balance,” Hudson said.

One huge myth about college is that if you exercise excessively, then you won’t gain that “Freshman 15.” Hudson called this the leading cause to repetitive injuries that she sees.

“The main thing I would say to stay in shape is to keep the muscles active,” she said. “But also have fun with what you’re doing.”