Top 5 things to know about the College of Human Sciences

Sarah Binder

Majors in the college of human sciences cover all aspects of human life, making them popular with students. 

“Students will often say, I knew what I wanted to do, but I didn’t know what major would help me do that,” said Dayle Nickerson, acting director of student services. She said many students transfer into the college for this reason.

Here are the top five things that new students in the college, or those thinking of joining, should know.

1. Diverse offerings

Students in the college have a lot of choices. Majors in the college of human sciences cover the entire bredth of human experience, everything from dietetics and nutrition to hospitality management to working with families and children. Then, many of these majors have different options within them. For example, a kineseology major can be pre-medicine or have an emphasis on health and fitness or community medicine. 

2. Learning communities

The college is unique in that every single major has a learning community associated with it. Nickerson said these are a good resource for students. Some are optional, and some are joined automatically when a student declares a major. Some are residential, and some are not, and some have classes associated with them, while some do not. More information can be found on the college’s website.

3. Resources

In addition to the university-wide resources designed to help all students, there are many helpful services offered at the college level. Nickerson said one example is that each student is assigned a professional academic adviser they can develop a personal relationship with. 

“But, most of the responsibility is on the student to know that the resources are there and be willing to use them,” Nickerson said.

4. Get involved

There are dozens student organizations within the college, ranging from social clubs to professional organizations. Joining a club is a great way to meet others in your college or department while also learning more about the field. For a complete list of clubs, visit the college’s website.

5. Real-world experience

The majority of majors in the college require an internship or co-op to graduate, which are great for gaining experience. Nickerson said there are also many opportunities to get involved with on campus; whether it’s working alongside a professor in lab, gaining teaching exerience at the child development lab, or working in the Joan Bice Underwood Tearoom, which is a fully functioning restaurant on campus.