Top Five Things International Students Should Know

John Lonsdale

There are numerous guides on how to be a freshmen in college.

International students may read some of them, but not all of them find out the types of information they wish they had known.

Whether the student is from China, India, Australia or any other country, these are the five things that a group of international students think international students should know before going to college at Iowa State.

1. Talk to others:

Beibei Cheng, sophomore in finance, said that this point was the most important thing to know going in to college. Whether they are American students or international students, a student will learn more and get most of his or her questions answered if they are not afraid to talk to others.

2. Know your surroundings

Patra was unfamiliar with the campus, especially with where the ISU Dining centers were located and where the buildings her classes were going to be in were located. She suggests looking at a map to start with.

Patra also stresses the importance of knowing where international students can find the medical facilities on campus and throughout Ames. She also thinks that students should know where they can receive cheap medical care.

Cheng did not know where to find Chinese restaurants or where to find Chinese food grocery stores other than Hy-Vee until she asked her friends.

Siva Konduri, graduate assistant-research in electrical engineering from India, said that he was unaware of where he could find authentic food of his culture until he found Pammel Grocery and Deli in West Ames and Asian Market.

Another obstacle the students faced before coming to Ames was how to know which apartment to choose. Proximity to campus, restaurants and other facilities and a convenient location played a huge role in all of their decisions on where to live.

By using Google Maps and talking with friends who were previous Iowa State students, Di Cui, 21 in pre-business (??) was able to figure out where he wanted to live in an apartment. He and Cheng recommend it so that the student can see his or her surroundings.

3. Prepare for the weather

“The winter is too cold for me,” Cui said.

A two-year student at Iowa State from Shenzhen near Hong Kong, he is still adjusting to Iowa’s harsh winters.

Cheng said that the weather is one of the things she wished she had known more about. She had to not only prepare for the climate change with warmer clothes but had to get her body used to cold temperatures.

Srijita Patra moved to Ames in January. Preparing to start classes at Iowa State in the fall, Patra says that international students should be prepared with umbrellas, coats and other weather-related things at any time.

4. Observe the culture

Cui said that it was and still sometimes is difficult for him at Iowa State because he does not have good English. He and Beibei both said that it would be helpful in all areas to understand the language more.

Although it didn’t necessarily improve his speaking skills, exploring the American culture, including trying new foods, was important for Cui’s first year at Iowa State. Cheng also said that she learned a lot from watching television shows.

5. Know where to look for more information

Patra and Konduri agreed that knowing how to contact CyRide, the international students and scholars office and any other contact information for Iowa State is important for being successful in your first year.

The ISSO has a page on Iowa State’s homepage with CyRide information, City of Ames and any other information ISS should know.

To answer any of the questions or address any of the tips above, contact:

International Students and Scholars Office (ISSO)

Iowa State University

Room 3248 Memorial Union

Ames, IA 50011-1130

USA

Telephone: (515) 294-1120

Fax: (515) 294-8263

E-mail: [email protected]