Meet Dione Somerville – Dean of Students Office

Paige Godden

Dione Somerville has been serving as Iowa State’s dean of students since January of 2007.

Somerville has previously served as the director of enrollment services/registrar at Lorain County Community College in Elyria, Ohio, and the director of student affairs and services at the Ohio College of Pediatric Medicine in Cleveland.

She was a graduate student at Bowling Green State University.

The mission of the Dean of Students Office is, “The Dean of Students Office at Iowa State University supports student-centered learning through personal, community and academic development culminating in a transformative learning experience.”

The Dean of Students Office promotes a campus environment that cultivates a sense of belonging, creates opportunities for students to be academically successful through out-of-class experiences and advocates for students.

The Dean of Students Office includes programs that help students including the Academic Success Center; Greek Affairs; Hixson Opportunity Awards; Judicial Affairs; Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual Transgender Student Services; Margaret Sloss Women’s Center; Multicultural Student Affairs; National Student Exchange; and Recreation Services.

In the last year, the Dean of Students Office had 583 tutors serving 3,252 students; 34,344 contact hours by supplemental instruction students in 44 different courses; 124 academic success and skill-building presentations; and a 38 percent increase in students using academic coaching.