Meet Tom Hill from the Division of Student Affairs

Paige Godden

Thomas Hill is the vice president for Student Affairs.

Hill received his Bachelor of Science in Physical Education from Arkansas State University, his Master of Science in Counselor Education from Post-Long Island University and his Doctorate in Counselor Education from the University of Florida.

Hill has been serving as the vice president for Student Affairs since Aug. 1, 1997.

He has worked as dean of Student Services at the University of Florida and the assistant athletic director for Student Life at Tulane University and the University of Oklahoma.

Hill serves as the permanent chairman of the VEISHEA Advisory Council, and is active in the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges.

He is also involved in the Student Affairs Administrators in Higher Education and the National Conference on Race and Ethnicity.

Before he began his career in higher education, Hill excelled on the athletic field and was twice named Arkansas Amateur Athlete of the Year, and was inducted into the Arkansas Track and Field Hall of Fame and the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame.

Hill competed in the 110-meter high hurdles competition in the 1972 Olympics in Munich and won the Bronze Medal.

The Division of Student Affairs is responsible for overseeing several offices including the Dean of Students Office, the Office of the Registrar, Enrollment Services/Admission, International Students and Scholars, Student Financial Aid, Student Counseling Services, Thielen Student Health Center, the Department of Residence, ISU Dining services and the Memorial Union.

The Division of Student Affairs also helps with orientation, recruitment, campus safety and ClubFest.

Student Affairs helps provide wellness activities, sustainability and diversity events around campus.

“We encourage our students to ‘chose their adventure’ at Iowa State, and the Division of Student Affairs is here to help them, every step of the way,” Hill wrote in a letter from the vice president.