Move-in day sets tone for dorm adjustment

Joy Wessels

Dorm life can be a mysterious transition for some. While some can’t wait for the move, others might be overwhelmed by the transition from their parents’ house to sharing a small room, potentially with a complete stranger. 

You’re put into an environment where you’re sharing a bathroom with several other people, eating food that isn’t home cooked and meeting new people in the hopes of creating long lasting friendships. Due to this transition, it’s important to be prepared for anything.

In terms of move-in day, there are a few things you should know. Students should research the residence hall they’re going to live in, said Adam Peters, Community Advisor and junior in management.

“In some dorms like Maple you’re provided with a loft,” Peters said. “But you have to bring your own for other dorms like Willow and Larch.” Peters said students don’t have to loft their beds, but if they want to they can buy loft kits at Lowe’s.

If you’re wondering what time you should move in, figure out how much time you have and how long of a drive to Ames it is ahead of time.

“The busiest times to move in are probably between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m.,” Peters said. “If they want to avoid the rush students should try to get there right away around 8 a.m. or later in the day around 4.”

You might also not know what exactly you should be bringing. Whether you know your roommate or it’s a random pairing, make sure you contact them before moving in so you don’t double up on things like a microwave or refrigerator. Freshman in communication studies, Molly Halferty knows how important this is.

“I wasn’t able to get in contact with my roommate at all during the summer because of internet issues,” said Halferty. “Luckily we were able to get in touch about a week before school started to see what we each wanted to bring.”

After you figure out what you need to bring and what time you’re going to arrive, start thinking about the options you have for meeting new people. During those first few days before classes start is the prime time to get out and socialize. Halferty said her best way of doing this was by keeping her door open and roaming the halls to get to know new faces.

“In my dorm everyone kept their door open, which is a really easy way to meet people,” said Halferty.

Peters also recommends getting out and socializing as much as possible. Beyond keeping your door open, community advisors plan events for students to get to know each other as well.

“We typically try to have a floor meeting right away,” Peters said. “Also, during Destination Iowa State the residence halls hold an ice cream social for new students.”

For those that have yet to experience the college lifestyle, it’s something that should be seen as fun and exciting. Don’t let a few unknowns stop you from enjoying your first days at Iowa State.