Go Greek. Expect More.

Kendra Alley

Go Greek. Expect More. These are the words that members of the ISU greek community live by. There are 2,000 students involved in the greek community, which comprises 12 percent of the undergraduate student body at Iowa State.

As a member of Alpha Chi Omega, I had many opportunities and experiences that made my four years at Iowa State very memorable. I served my community as vice president of fraternal relations, where I planned a philanthropic event that raised $3,000 for ACCESS, a women’s shelter in Ames. I participated in Homecoming tournaments and Yell Like Hell. I choreographed dances and prepared a skit for the Greek Week lip-sync competition. I met so many amazing people through the greek community and was given many networking opportunities through friendships.

Katie Mott, assistant director of greek affairs, said networking and learning about leadership were two of the main benefits of joining a greek house.

“Many of the key leadership positions on campus are held by members of the greek community. [They include] Government of the Student Body, Dance Marathon, Veishea, Homecoming, Black Student Alliance [and] Blood Drive, along with various academic-based clubs and organizations,” said Mott.

While getting involved, I made many close friends, whom I will keep in touch with for the rest of my life. The greek community creates lifelong memories and relationships for ISU students, all while instilling a set of values known as the Four Pillars.

The Pillars are Leadership, Scholarship, Community Service, and Friendship. They get students involved and set them up for their future.

“Come in with an open mind. Rush your freshman year. There is definitely a chapter for you. You make the greatest lifelong friends,” said Henry Wang, member of Ph Kappa Psi fraternity and senior in art and design.

There are 19 sororities and 33 fraternities recognized at Iowa State. While all of these houses share the same core values, all are also unique. This uniqueness provides many students with a home away from home.

Women interested in joining a Collegiate Panhellenic Council sorority must attend formal recruitment.

Formal recruitment will take place from August 13 to August 18. During this time, participants will visit each house and be able to talk to the women of all sorority chapters , so they can decide which one fits their personal and academic interests best.

Men interested in joining a fraternity can participate in Interfraternity Council recruitment.

“Interfraternity Council recruitment began in April and will continue primarily throughout the summer months. Fraternities utilize a networking process where prospective members and chapter leaders contact one another with interest,” said Mott.

Jill Cassel, member of Gamma Phi Beta and senior in English education, said she’d found her experience as a greek fulfilling.

“Do everything, join everything, and fill your schedule with things you’re passionate about. Being greek had taught me that I can truly have it all,” Cassel said.