College of Veterinary Medicine

Ben Theobald

The College of Veterinary Medicine has some unique details and major events coming up. These are some of the things that incoming students should know:

Medical Center: Health CenterThe Veterinary Medical Center at Iowa State University is a teaching hospital where our students and veterinary doctor experts care for the health of over 16,000 patients each year.

A major expansion of the Small Animal Hospital is underway at the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine which adds more than 17,000 square feet of new space and renovates more than 88,000 square feet of space. Plus, there is a new 108,000 square foot, $48 million equine and food animal hospital completed in 2008.

The College of Veterinary Medicine houses the Wildlife Care Clinic to assist wildlife in Iowa, which is staffed by ISU students and supported by the college and through donations from the public and other groups.

Students have opportunities for exciting educational experiences in Iowa, across the United States, and around the world, including a new Swine Medicine Education Center, the Blank Park Zoo, Great Ape Trust, government agencies for animal and human health, and in many other areas of animal health.

The college has graduated over 7,000 veterinarians who are leaders in all aspects of veterinary medicine, veterinary diagnostics, and veterinary research.