Faculty Senate passes proposal for general degree program

Paige Godden

The Faculty Senate passed a proposal for a new general degree program for the College of Design after debate about whether or not the college could provide a quality education to more students.

Martha Selby, adjunct assistant professor of materials science and engineering, asked if the college had sufficient resources and facilities for a new program.

The plan was for students to be able to share studio space with students in the current design programs.

Marwan Ghandour, associate dean of architecture, said he had looked into the whole space inventory of the college and is confident the college will be able to accommodate the programs.

Kevin Amidon, associate professor of world languages and cultures, said he had concerns about the proposal.

Amidon said he was concerned the proposal appeared to be perusing things the faculty didn’t want, such as “poaching students between colleges and duplicating programs.”

Amidon asked why the College of Design couldn’t serve the students with the programs already in place.

The college is currently set up so that the professional programs are accredited at an undergraduate level so they have very specific design degrees focused on a single discipline. They do not have a degree that covers a broad base of options.

Ann Smiley-Oyen, associate professor of kinesiology, asked if students would eventually move into specialized programs or if they would graduate with a more general degree as a fall back.

The plan is to use the program as a second major or for professional preparation.

The Senate then discussed proposed changes in an academic program.

Instead of a single faculty member being able to veto the idea of a change within a program, the change could still be heard by a Senate subcommittee.

Smiley-Oyen said she wasn’t sure about the idea because she had been in “not so cooperative” situations in the past and was worried about what would happen if the faculty didn’t have veto power.

Annemarie Butler, assistant professor of philosophy and religious studies, said maybe there could be a third option for cases that have two or more academic programs involved instead of just pushing the cases into overstretched Senate subcommittees.

The proposed change was passed favorably after a request for a roll-call vote.

The Senate also passed a proposal that outlined amendments to the conduct policy and name changes to the sports and recreation minor.