Office of Student Financial Aid hosts open house for student employees

Jacob Bishop, junior in industrial technology picks up a sheet to win door prizes during the open house of National Student Employment Week on Wednesday, April 13 on the ground floor of Beardshear Hall.

Brandon Hallmark

Breakfast on the Go was the theme of this year’s National Student Employment Week, and true to the theme, breakfast foods ranging from breakfast bars to doughnuts awaited student employees who passed through Beardshear Hall.

National Student Employment Week was hosted by the Office of Student Financial Aid. Students who went to the open house could put their names in for prizes ranging from a free one night stay in a hotel to T-shirts and water bottles.

“We celebrate National Student Employment Week every year,” said Ann Wessman, assistant director of student financial aid. “It’s a national event that’s going on sometime during this week on campuses throughout the nation.”

The purpose of National Student Employment Week is to recognize student employees.

“It’s not easy to be a student and an employee,” said David Cossa, senior in management information systems.

“It’s nice that the university is giving back to employees that make this place run,” said Troy Mangrich, senior in mechanical engineering.

Jason Bergman, junior in materials engineering agreed, “It’s nice that the university gives back. We put in our time so it’s nice that they show appreciation for that,” Bergman said.

The food and prizes were donated by local businesses.

“We’ve got lots of involvement from the community,” Wessman said. “Lots of businesses have donated prizes.”