Colleges celebrate with activities, events for VEISHEA

Katherine Klingseis

Shedding away the glitz and the glam of the parade, carnival and other festivities, the heart of VEISHEA appears: the celebration of Iowa State’s diverse colleges. For VEISHEA 2011, each college has prepared interesting activities and presentations to celebrate the college’s success.

Agriculture and Life Sciences:

This weekend: For VEISHEA 2011, the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences will offer students several opportunities to win prizes. The college is holding the Campus Showcase on Friday, where students can win coupons redeemable Saturday at clubs’ booths. There will be clubs’ booths set up on campus Saturday. Students can play BINGO and win prizes. The college will also be selling “Tradition of Excellence” T-shirts on Central Campus.

Fun Fact: Iowa State’s faculty scientists in agriculture and life sciences are among the world’s most highly cited. From 1994 to 2004, Iowa State was the fourth most-cited American university and the fifth most-cited university in the world for published research papers in the agricultural sciences.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 3,298/703

Faculty: 1,193

Business:

This weekend: The College of Business welcomes all alumni and friends to gather at the Gerdin Business building to watch the parade and enjoy a picnic lunch.

Fun Fact: In 1955, the Department of Industrial Administration was created and offered courses in business. However, it was part of the Division of Science, which caused confusion among faculty, students and business firms alike.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 3,240/273

Faculty: 171

Design:

This weekend: The College of Design is teaming up with the College of Human Sciences to cosponsor the Central Campus barbecue Wednesday. The Design Council will also co-host an ice cream social with the Dean’s Office from noon to 2 p.m. Tuesday. The college will be holding the ISU Game Development Competition at 1 to 3 p.m. Saturday.

Fun Fact: In June 1981, Thomas Morton Watts, of Syracuse, N.Y., walked into the office of Michael Brooks, dean of the College of Design, and pulled out a Winchester Magnum Rifle and took one shot at the dean. Brooks was able to push the gun away and get Watts to sit down. When police arrived, he was charged with assault with intent to commit murder.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 1,753/174

Faculty: 222

Engineering:

This weekend: The College of Engineering will host an array of different lectures and seminars as well as other interesting events. For instance, Friday the college will host the Virtual Reality Experience. Students in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering will also present interactive displays and senior design projects.

Fun Fact: When Iowa State opened, the engineering instruction was a small department comprised of two professors, a workshop and fewer than 20 students.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 5,448/1,069

Faculty: 727

Human Sciences:

This weekend: The College of Human Sciences will have exhibitors grouped in three categories: cherry pies, living and learning, and health and wellness. Hospitality and management students will be selling cherry pies 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The college will also hold exhibits and presentations on the different departments in the College of Human Sciences. The Dairy Products Evaluation Club will sell fresh cheese curds from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m Saturday. The Food Science Club will have a Sour Seasons Fudge Fountain from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m Friday and Saturday.

Fun Fact: The College of Family and Consumer Sciences and the College of Education were combined on July 1, 2005, to create the College of Human Sciences. The division, later college, of Home Economics was established in 1913; it was later renamed Family and Consumer Sciences. The College of Education was established in 1968.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 3,186/740

Faculty: 502

Liberal Arts and Science:

This weekend: The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences has a huge list of events planned. Stars Over VEISHEA and ISU Music presents “Kiss Me Kate” on Friday. The tickets for the show are on sale through the Iowa State Center Ticket Office. The college will set up a VEISHEA tent Saturday on Central Campus. The Ecology, Evolution and Organismal Biology Graduate Student Organization will have a Prairie Plant Sale, and the Geology Club sell rocks, minerals, gems, jewelry, fossils and chocolate. The Psychology Club and the Physics and Astronomy Club will also have activities and demonstrations.

Fun Fact: One-quarter to one-third of every student’s courses are taught in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, no matter what the student’s major it. Roughly 55 percent of all student credit hours are taught through the college.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 6,179/1,283

Faculty: 1,595

Veterinary Medicine:

This weekend: For the College of Veterinary Medicine, several clubs will be offering interesting activities and events. For instance, CVM Spectrum will offer animal mask making for younger children and Animal Facts Jeopardy for older children. The Shelter Club plans to hold a meet and greet with local area shelter dogs that are available for adoption. The college will also have a petting zoo with dogs, small furry animals, calves, piglets and many more.

Fun Fact: When the Veterinary School was created in 1879, it was the first state veterinary college in the United States, and it was a two-year course that lead to a diploma. It wasn’t until 1903 that it became a four-year program.

Undergraduate/Graduate: 587/119

Faculty: 447