Greek students start magazine ‘Letters’

Mary-Kate Burkert

The Greek Relations Executive Council published its first edition of “Letters,” a “magazine that focuses on content that is both interesting and showcases the greek community,” said Ryne Dittmer, International Fraternity Council vice president of public relations and communications and senior in journalism and mass communication.

This edition covered “greek involvement in Dance Marathon, the recolonization [corrected from decolonization] of Delta Upsilon, Varieties and the Emerging Greek Leadership Council,” said Katie Henry, a member of Greek Relations Executive Council, and junior in journalism and mass communication.

“We also have a section dedicated to different philanthropies happening in the greek community,” Henry said.

“We wanted a publication that could be sent out to alumni, parents and chapters’ national headquarters that would help spread the word of all the good things going on with Iowa State’s greek community,” Dittmer said. “Rachel Gerdes, [Collegiate Panhellenic Council] vice president of communications, and I created ‘Letters’ and spent about a month outlining how we wanted the magazine to look, what it would cover and how we would send it out.”

The Greek Relations Executive Council is a group of 10 students responsible for the greek community’s public relations and marketing. 

“Our goal for ‘Letters’ is to cover the people, stories and events impacting greek life at Iowa State,” Dittmer said.

“‘Letters’ is not your typical student publication,” Dittmer said. “It is not a newsletter, and it delivers stories that are relevant and interesting. ‘Letters’ is also unique in the fact that it is chapter driven. We encourage chapters and individuals to send in story ideas, photos and calendar items for us to include in each issue.

“‘Letters’ is also a great way for non-greek students to see what goes on with the greek community through a whole new media.”

Henry enjoys being a part of Greek Relations Executive Council and working on “Letters.”

“[It is] such a diverse group of creative people,” Henry said. “It’s been awesome being able to bounce ideas off each other, and we all get along really well.”

This publication is well on its way to success, Dittmer said.

“‘Letters’ has already attracted the attention of a few national fraternity and sorority headquarters, and we have received some very positive feedback,” Dittmer said. “Additionally, we have had other schools emailing us after seeing ‘Letters’ and wanting advice and more information on how greek life at Iowa State works. It really is the chance to showcase how proud we are of the greek community here and a testament to the fact that we are one of the leading communities in the region.”