Habitat for Humanity gets students involved

Frances Myers

About 95 million Americans have housing problems, according to the official Habitat for Humanity website. That is one-third of the nation.

“The number of households spending more than 50 percent of their income on housing rose by one-third, or 16 percent, to 18.6 million households. That’s 44.2 million Americans. If the homeless and those living in severely substandard conditions are included, roughly one in six Americans are in need of a decent, affordable place to live,” according to the website.

Habitat for Humanity is an international non-profit organization that seeks to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness around the world. Iowa State has a local student Habitat for Humanity chapter that works with Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa and Greater Des Moines in order to help with the construction of “simple, decent and affordable” housing for families in need of housing.

About 85 ISU students are members of ISU Habitat for Humanity. Throughout the year the chapter goes to several build days in the Ames and Des Moines area to help Habitat for Humanity of Central Iowa. They also have several fundraisers as well as spring break “Collegiate Challenge” trips.

“Habitat for Humanity Collegiate Challenge is a way for students to travel during spring break to different Habitat for Humanity affiliates around the U.S. to volunteer their time to help build homes,” said Deidra Nugent, senior in marketing and public relations leader for ISU Habitat for Humanity.

Many students get involved with Habitat for Humanity to help with their architectural or engineering major but most do it just to volunteer and get involved, regardless of their major.

“I got involved with Habitat because it’s such a good cause,” said Hannah Steuben, senior in architecture. “I like being able to help, and with my major being architecture, it felt like a good way to give back to my community in a possibly more in-depth and meaningful manner.”

Another member, Heidi Nyhus, sophomore in public service and administration in agriculture, said she joined because of what the organization does for communities.

“I’m all about helping others who are in need, and this is a great way to make a big impact in someone else’s life,” Nyhus sad. “Joining is really easy. All you have to do is go to one meeting, pay your due and attend one fundraising event or build day.”

This year for the Collegiate Challenge trips, ISU Habitat for Humanity sent 11 members to Punta Gorda, Fla., and 22 members to Miami.

Steuben was one of the members sent to Punta Gorda.

“For build work, we installed roof sheathing, exterior wall sheathing, trusses and bracing for the roof. We also spent a work day putting up siding,” Steuben said. “We used our free time to explore Florida’s coast a bit and befriend other students involved with Habitat. We were able to visit four different beaches and meet people from both Harvard University and Georgia Southern University.”

Nyhus was sent to Liberty City, near Miami.

“Because of the hurricane season in Florida, the houses down there have completely different building regulations than houses up here do. Everything is made with concrete,” Nyhus said. “Our group was in charge of placing firestops on all the walls and putting up ceiling strips.”

“Our first work day we got the opportunity to work at the Habitat Restore, where people donate things for homes. We reorganized the store to create displays in hopes people would buy them. After our work days we went to South Beach a few times.”

Members generally report very positive feedback on being involved with Habitat for Humanity.

“It’s a great way to give back to the community and to help others on something that is extremely important to them,” said Paige Heiserman, sophomore in elementary education. “Don’t be hesitant to join because you’ve never built anything. You don’t have to have any experience to be in Habitat for Humanity.”

“There are a lot of people on the sites that know what to do and they teach you and give you a task you’re comfortable with. I have no experience in construction or building anything but the supervisors and other members are always willing to teach and help.”

“Habitat is a wonderful way to get involved with your community,” Steuben said. “With some community service projects, your efforts aren’t always so directly visible, but being able to drive by a house in your neighborhood and say, ‘I helped building that house for someone who really needed it,’ is an awesome feeling.”