Editorial: Enjoy your spring break whether at home or far away

Today marks the start of a full week generously given to students in Ames and throughout the rest of the world: spring break. For those of you still left in Ames reading this Iowa State Daily, we commend you for going to class today.

For many students, spring break means leaving this cold, desolate and still snowy area known as Iowa and going somewhere as far away and warm as possible.

Trips cost these students lots of money — from the travel spent reaching the destination to the food and drink bought every day upon arrival. After saving up for months in advance, most students headed somewhere on vacation opt to skip classes Friday, and sometimes even Thursday afternoon.

Professors practically feed you points to stick around for one lecture before you have the week off. With all the spending students are about to do, why wouldn’t they just stick around and earn a few more points while saving extra dollars?

Not all students spend spring break traveling to the beach; perhaps more often than not, students head back home for a bit of time off from school.

To those students who choose to bask in the nothingness, good for you. After all, the university graciously gives us nine full days to shake out those winter blues, while some high schools in Iowa give a whole Friday off. Iowa or not, it’s still a time of no commitments.

Take the time to sleep in, laugh at others currently slaving away at homework and sit around eating cheesy puffs and drinking soda all day while watching multiple marathons of “Jerry Springer.”

Snap out of the routine you’ve been forcing yourself to stay in for the past eight weeks.

Be sure to make your break memorable. After all, it is a vacation, so do something crazy. Be bold, run to the top of a hill and belt out your favorite tune to the rest of the world. Host a showing of a movie series. Start a dodgeball tournament on your town square.

Cliché as it sounds, enjoy your time on spring break. We’ll do the same.