LAS students need to focus on own interests, skills when searching for jobs

Katherine Klingseis

Students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences should know two things before searching for jobs or internships.

“One is know yourself and the other is know careers,” said Steven Kravinsky, director of career services for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. “Then, you can put those together and figure out what employers will hire you.”

On a day-to-day basis, Kravinsky helps students with a variety of issues. He can work with freshmen trying to choose their majors, or graduate students attempting to find jobs.

“We’re kept busy,” Kravinsky said. “The flow keeps coming all year round.”

When students come into his office, looking for help in securing a job or internship, Kravinsky recommends that they think about their skills and interests.

“The first thing I say is, ‘What’s your area of interest?’, and if the person doesn’t have any, then I have to explain to them how the world works,” Kravinsky said. “An internship isn’t just something an employer will just take you in; you’ve got to give them some reason.”

Kravinsky explained that going to a career fair offers students the chance to network with many employers.

“I like for people to think that [a career fair is] like a great, big cocktail party without the alcohol,” Kravinsky said. “[Networking] is a major way that many people find work in today’s world.”

Another great way to network, Kravinsky said, is by logging on to ISU Career Management System. He explained that every student at ISU can log on to ISU CMS, and search through more than 1,000 jobs.

“I like to call it AccessPlus for jobs,” Kravinksy said. “It’s a reality check; it’s what [jobs are] really out there.”

Kravinky also recommends that students check the career services’ website and research what majors and careers match up with their interests and skills.

“No one wakes up in the middle of the night as if we’re touched by some sort of being, and say, ‘Hallelujah, I want to be an accountant!'” Kravinksy said. “That doesn’t happen.”

Above all else, Kravinksy believes that students should think about what careers will offer them the most amount of happiness.

“You’ve got to get up every Monday morning about 6 o’clock, get dressed, and go to work for 40 years,” Kravinsky said. “You’ve got to be doing what you enjoy.”