Business is more than just a major

Giovanna Rajao

Having a business degree can be beneficial not only to those who plan on specifically working with business, but to anyone who’s chosen path will intersect with the business field at all. An accredited business degree can be helpful in the search for a high-paying, satisfying job.

“Regardless if I go into business or not, it will still help me. No matter what profession I do choose, I can still be able to think about the consumer and what they want,” said Elizabeth Sweeny, open option freshman.

“I think it’s important to take business classes, because it teaches you leadership, and you need that in any job, not just business,” said Teegan Ebenhoh, freshman in pre-business.

“Your basic business classes — like economics — you can apply to your everyday life. It will help you make wiser decisions when buying a car, or a house,” Ebenhoh said.

“You’re just more aware of how companies operate,” Ebenhoh said.

Business classes will only become more relevant as globalization continues to increase.

“Since we are living in a time of economic globalization, international commerce and national economy play a more and more important role in competition between firms and governments. Everyone is exposed to life related to economy, and I think studying business has great potential in the development of society,” said Liu Lingling, freshman in pre-business.

“It’s nice to actually know what they’re talking about on the news, and have a background and be able to understand what they’re talking about and make decisions for your personal life,” Ebenhoh said.

Despite its reputation as the practical, “play it safe” major, every industry depends upon business principles in order to strive in the competitive market.

Students who have a business education are not only poised to start their own business, but they also have the practical skills needed to succeed in different positions in the industry of their choice.

“I choose business because I like to work with people and numbers and there are many job opportunities in business. I also like to work with people and be in charge,” said Kayleigh Wren, freshman in pre-business.

“It gives you a lot of critical thinking skills that are necessary in everyday life. Having the knowledge of economics and how business works is nice also,” Wren said.

“Business is important because it involves individual firms and organizations allocating their resources in the production of goods and products for customers, with the rewards of earning profits. Without business, there would be no buying and selling of goods and services between consumers and producers,” said Ming Pui Hui, freshman in management.

“Having a business degree would definitely be helpful even if I didn’t work in the business world. The skills I acquire from my management courses, for example, the communication skills and leadership skills will better equip me in almost every possible way,” Hui said.

The College of Business at ISU is accredited by both The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business [AACSB International] and the Higher Learning Commission.

“Majors within the College of Business are technically oriented degrees. This technical orientation is what the employers are seeking in today’s globally-diverse, technology-driven business environment,” said Tammy Stegman, Career Coordinator for Marketing and Management, Business Career Services.

“If a student is considering a major or minor within the College of Business, that is an excellent way to increase their marketability to those potential employers,” Stegman said.

“Employment rates for graduates in the College of Business are generally at 90 percent — meaning 90 percent of College of Business students are employed six months or less after graduation,” Stegman said.

Business major salaries can range anywhere from $40,000 to $85,000 depending on the specific area of interest.

“Starting salaries for College of Business graduates are also strong with typical salaries of $40,000 across the majors,” Stegman said.

A business degree does not guarantee a position in a multimillion-dolalr corporation or making big money — but an understanding of the mechanisms of business can be a guide to getting there.