Volleyball player set to jump for Cyclones

Dan Tracy

ISU coach Corey Ihmels said Wednesday that freshman Hannah Willms, a member of the ISU volleyball team, will be competing for the track and field team during the indoor season.

“We’re excited that volleyball is going to let us have her here for a little indoors,” Ihmels said.

The Dike-New Hartford prep was named both the Iowa high school girl’s volleyball and track and field athlete of the year by Gatorade as a senior.

Wilms won 14 Iowa high school state titles in a variety of events. Four came in both the 200 and 400-meter dashes and three apiece in the high jump and sprint medley relay.

It was the high jump in high school that helped her get recognized at the national level when, at the 2010 Drake Relays, Willms jumped 6-1 in the high jump. Not only was the 6-foot-1-inch mark a Drake Relays record but it also gave her the highest mark among all high school jumpers in the country.

“She’s obviously somebody that had a tremendous high school career and somebody that can help the jumpers even more,” Ihmels said.

Willms is expected to compete in the high jump at this weekend’s Iowa State Open to be held Friday and Saturday at the Lied Recreation Athletic Center.

“I know she’s excited to get out here and jump to see what she can do.” Ihmels said.