Sallie Mae offers FAFSA help during online chat

Micaela Cashman

It’s that dreaded time of year again — time to file your FAFSA and apply for scholarships.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid helps students qualify for federal or state aid.

Sallie Mae, the only financial services company that specializes in education, will host an online chat session to answer questions students have about how to go about saving money Thursday, Jan. 27 from 8–9 p.m. 

Members of the Financial Planning Association will also participate in the chat.

The online chat will also feature tips on how to live using smart money habits.

Sallie Mae recently did a national study and found that 28 percent of families did not submit a FAFSA last academic year. According to the study, half of those people said they did not submit one because they did not think they would qualify for any amount of aid.

The form to apply for FAFSA asks more than 100 personal and financial questions. Starting Jan. 30, families will be allowed to transfer tax form data from their IRS forms to the FAFSA form.

March 1 [corrected from March 11] is the priority deadline to submit a FAFSA form this year. Applications submitted after the priority deadline may not be able to receive the maximum award possible.

Students and parents can post tips for filling out FAFSA forms and managing money through the end of January on Sallie Mae’s Facebook page. Those who participate will be entered in a weekly drawing for prizes.

To participate in the online chat with Sallie Mae and certified financial planners, go to facebook.com/salliemae.

For more financial information and tips on filing FAFSA forms, visit www.sallimae.com/fafsa or www.financialaid.iastate.edu.