Cyclones top Binghamton 22-18

ISU freshman Ben Cash won the decisive 133-pound bout over sophomore Dan Riggi to give No. 15 Iowa State a 22-18 win over Binghamton University. Cash won by major decision 14-3.

The meet began at 141 pounds. The Bearcats started the match with a 9-0 lead. After Iowa State forfeited at 141 pounds, No. 12 sophomore Donnie Vinson, who beat NCAA champion Kyle Dake of Cornell on Friday night, won 11-5 over ISU sophomore Max Mayfield. The Cyclones got right back into the dual at 157, when freshman Trent Weatherman pinned BU junior Matt Kaylor in the first period, making the score 9-6.

Binghamton extended its lead at 165 pounds. Junior Justin Lister, an All-American last season, defeated No. 9 junior Andrew Sorenson 4-2, giving the Bearcats a 12-6 lead. Lister was able to stave off various takedown attempts from Sorenson at the end of the match to hold on for the win.

ISU senior Jon Reader, the top ranked wrestler in the nation at 174, won by technical fall over Ryan McGarity, making the team score 12-11. At 184, ISU’s Cole Shafer upset No. 10 Nate Schiedel 9-2, giving the Cyclones a 14-12 lead, their first lead of the dual. Shafer was in control for the majority of the bout.

At 197 pounds, Binghamton sophomore Cody Reed was down 6-2 to ISU junior Phil Hawes, but stormed back to tie the match at 7-7 and force overtime. Reed then got a takedown in the overtime period to earn the 9-7 win and put his team back up 15-14. Hawes was favoring his left knee in the latter stages of the match, but Reed appeared to be hurt during the match as well.

The back-and-forth dual meet continued at heavyweight. Junior Kyle Simonson and freshman Lance Moore were tied 0-0 after two periods, but Simonson broke out offensively in the third period and secured a 10-2 major decision, putting the Cyclones back on top 18-15.

Bearcat sophomore Derek Steely narrowly defeated freshman Brandon Jones 7-6 in a match that went down to the wire. This tied the team score at 18-18 heading into the final bout at 133 pounds, before Cash sealed the victory for the Cyclones.

Iowa State improved to 7-7 in dual meets, while Binghamton fell to 11-5.