New international student leadership program announced

John Lonsdale

The first leadership program of its kind at Iowa State, International Leadership Education and Development, begins this fall.

The program was developed by the International Students and Scholars Office.

International students will have to go through an application process that will hopefully begin Friday, or shortly after, to participate in the new program, which will accept a small group of 10 to 15 students.

The academic-based, yearlong program was created from a conversation James Dorsett, director of the International Students and Scholars Office, and Tom Hill, vice president of student affairs, had about giving international students an opportunity to get involved in leadership positions on campus.

The program is designed for students who have completed at least one year at Iowa State so they can take what they have learned from being on campus and do something with it, Dorsett said.

“[We’re] still nebulous about what these things will be,” Dorsett said.  

Although the curriculum is still being developed, students will meet once a month or every other week to work on leadership-building activities and teach students about delegating, networking, conflict management and dealing with organizational culture.

Students may also be asked to go out and connect with a leader in the community, city government or a local business.

The program does not offer academic credit, but students will receive a $500 scholarship from a special fund from the International Students and Scholars Office that is used to support student activities and programs.

“For future years, I would like to find a donor to endow this program or might do some fundraising for it,” Dorsett said.

Students will receive the scholarship if they successfully complete the program’s requirements of attendance and participation in projects.

An announcement about the program will be e-mailed to students Friday.