Editorial: Dead week resources available at Iowa State

Chris Jorgensen/Iowa State Daily

Students enjoyed free smoothies, massages, and samples from an oxygen bar in the Maple-Willow-Larch commons on Oct. 20.

So begins the aptly named dead week at Iowa State.

It is both a terrifying, stressful but exhilarating time. Have a group project to finish yet haven’t heard from your partner all semester? Never fear, it’s inevitable that they may reach out the night before your assignment is due.

Jokes aside, dead week can be an incredibly difficult time for undergraduate and graduate students alike. It’s your last opportunity to round out your grade before the final and hopefully bump that C to a B.

In recognition of the torrid affair in which second-semester freshman are prepping for round 2 and seniors are breathing in the proximity of graduation, the ISD Editorial Board would like to highlight the resources Iowa State provides. 

Because Parks Library recognizes the spike in use of its space during the last few weeks of the semester, it will be open 24 hours beginning April 28 through May 9.

“Supporting our students and their academic success is a top goal for the University Library,” Dean of Library Services Beth McNeil said in a news release.

This tradition of 24-hour service began several years ago from students who felt that increasing library hours could improve productivity and general wellbeing and safety of the students.

In fact, a few students even decided to camp out in Parks Library on the third floor — tent, TV and all.

However, the ISD Editorial Board encourages you to not take it to this extreme. We also hope that you know your personal limits and avoid sleep deprivation while also minding your personal hygiene and food consumption.

Another fun activity hosted by Parks Library to alleviate some of the stresses of dead week and finals week is called “Barks @ Parks.”

If you like dogs, then this is the event for you.

The certified therapy dogs will be available Monday from noon to 3 p.m. and Tuesday through Friday from noon until 4 p.m.

Student Wellness will also host some additional activities including neck massages, puzzles and coloring pages.

For all of campus, dead week and finals week is dreadful. On the horizon is the opportunity for relaxation yet what stands before it is a plethora of tests, quizzes and big projects.

Remember, however, to prioritize yourself before the grade and recognize that no assignment is worth sacrificing your wellbeing.

The ISD Editorial Board wishes you the best of luck. Happy dead week!

Resources

Student Counseling Services

Phone: 515-294-5056

Location: Student Services Building, 3rd floor

ISU Police

Non-emergency number: 515-294-4428

Dean of Students Office

515-294-1020

[email protected]