ISU Ambassadors host lobbying training event

Senator Herman Quirmbach speaks about the importance of keeping young Iowans in Iowa on Thursday, Dec. 2, in Carver.

Paige Godden

The ISU Ambassadors held an open forum, featuring three speakers who spoke about effective ways to lobby the Iowa legislature.

Sen. Herman Quirmbach, associate professor of economics, has served on the Education Committee for eight years.

“When you’re talking to legislatures, be polite, figure out what you want to say in advance and boil it down,” Quirmbach said.

When students are lobbying, they need to make sure they bring a visual impact, whether it be the same color of shirts or a stand for legislators to look at, Quirmbach said.

Each speaker told the audience the importance of speaking to their hometown representatives.

“Lisa [Heddens], me, Beth Wessel-Kroeschell. Don’t spend a lot of time with us because we’re pretty much in your corner,” Quirmbach said.

He said the Board of Regents aren’t just about three counties – Story, Black Hawk or Johnson – but about all 99 counties in Iowa.

“When you’re here you’re my constituents,” Quirmbach said. “When you’re back home and your parents are back home, they are your representatives, and they effect your ability to get a quality education and quality faculty.”

Iowa State has an advantage because the ISU Extension services reach to all 99 counties, Quirmbach said.

“It is much more effective, talking to a hometown representative or senator. If you’re registered to vote here, your parents are still registered to vote back there,” Quirmbach said.

House Representative Lisa Heddens said she is also pretty much in students’ corner.

Heddens emphasized the importance of introducing yourself to your senator through mail or e-mail.

“Build that relationship, tell them your story, why you chose Iowa State, what your goals are and what your struggles were so they get to know who you are as a person,” Heddens said.

Heddens said she remembers four or five years ago when students from Just Eliminate Lies were at the Capitol for the smoking ban issues. She said she received a couple e-mails and letters every day at home from the students who were trying to push for a statewide smoking ban.

“They kept their issue ongoing. They continually kept their names out there and reminded us of what the issue is,” Heddens said. “We get anywhere from 200 to 300 e-mails a day, sometimes more depending on what the issue is. Have your message, what you are lobbying for, what you want. Be very specific, be focused on what you want to say.”

Joe Murphy, the lobbyist for the Board of Regents, said it is important for students to try to get their parents involved.

“Over the past two years, because of the recession, the Regent Universities have been cut by $130 million. They are back down to 1997 levels,” Murphy said.

He said access and affordability is a huge issue for the Board of Regents.

“The board has to make sure what you pay for your degree is worth it 20 years from now,” Murphy said.

Murphy said not to underestimate the grassroots process and attending local legislative forums. He said this year is of critical importance, because there is no fat left to trim from the Regents’ budget.