Letter: Cyclone fan letter to the Daily

It’s time for Cyclone fans to hold themselves to a higher standard.

At the men’s basketball game this past weekend against California, I was extremely disappointed and embarrassed by the behavior of Iowa State fans. I heard a range of racist, homophobic and otherwise derogatory comments and chants — from both students and others — directed at opposing players and referees that are too offensive to repeat. A couple of ISU students were even engaging directly in such conversations eye-to-eye across the court with opposing players, who took the high road and didn’t fire back.

This behavior is unacceptable. I fear we’re developing quite a negative image as a university because of actions like this, and that can’t happen.

I don’t care who we’re playing: Bears, Huskers or even Hawkeyes. Student-athletes at other universities deserve a level of respect they simply aren’t receiving.

It doesn’t matter how their fans may treat us when we’re guests in their environments. In fact, I would hope that Cyclones being less negative toward other schools would lead to us treated better as we visit them.

We can create a great positive atmosphere without having to constantly heckle students on the court. Players are students first, and that’s something that people forget all too often. No one deserves the treatment Cal players received at the last game. Let me know if you disagree with me, because I’d be very interested in hearing opposing viewpoints.

With regard to officiating: Lighten up. We didn’t even make it five minutes into the game before “Ref, you suck!” began to be heard in Hilton.

At least half the calls that anger fans are not bad calls. Officiating decisions even out over time, so pay close attention to the questionable calls that go in our favor as well. A far better approach to interactions with officials has been taken by a small group of students over the years that chats with referees and befriends them rather than constantly berates them.

Next time you go in for work or class, try to imagine 15,000 people chanting at you while you do your job. That should help put things in perspective.

I was impressed by the leadership of a Cyclone Alley executive member who stepped up and told fellow students that “Ref, you suck!” isn’t acceptable for student section leaders to shout. I give props to the ISU Pep Band for starting supportive Cyclone cheers in the midst of anger from the rest of Hilton Coliseum.

I know there are other such fans out there who won’t buy into the negativity. We can learn from the examples of these individuals. I challenge all ISU fans, alumni, students and everyone else at the game to take a classier approach than we have been.

Hilton Coliseum has a great reputation as a tough place to play, and our teams are class acts. Let’s do our part as fans to make sure “Hilton Magic” still has a positive vibe.