Stay active in Ames in winter months

Kendra Alley

There are plenty of things around Ames and on campus to occupy students when it’s too chilly to go outside. Simple ways to stay active during the winter are endless.

Ames/ISU Ice Arena

When not in use for intramural broomball or club hockey, the ice arena is open for recreational skating.

Location: 1507 Gateway Hills Park Drive

Time: Saturday and Sunday from 2 to 4 p.m., Wednesday 8 to 9:30 p.m.

Fees: $4.75 for adults, $2.75 for skate rentals. Wednesday has a student special: $3 admission, $2 for skate rental.

Wednesday Night Hoops

Go join in a game whenever it is convenient for you with the basketball pickup league offered by Ames Park and Recreation.

Location: Ames Middle School, 3915 Mortensen Road

Time: 7 to 9 p.m.

Fees: $2

Cross-country skiing

Trails are available for cross-country skiers at East River Valley Park. To view a map, visit www.amesparkerec.org. This is a beautiful park with many trails to explore if you have your own skis.

Ski and Snowboarding Club

Learn to ski or snowboard from the exec members of the Ski and Snowboard Club at weekly at Seven Oaks in Boone. There are also trips that take place over Winter Break and Spring Break. If interested, contact president Rebecca Schmidt at [email protected].

ISU hockey games

Go enjoy the sport of hockey and support the Cyclones at the Ames/ISU Ice Arena. Games go through March 9.

Student Tickets: $7

Dance classes

Spend your winter learning to dance by attending dance classes, including belly dancing, hula dancing, swing dancing and more. Get more information or sign up at www.cityofames.org/parksrecweb/.

Cyclone Ballroom club also hosts dance lessons every Wednesday.

Beginner: 8 to 8:50 p.m.

Intermediate: 9 to 9:50 p.m.

Fees: $5 per lesson or $35 for 10 lessons

Badminton

Play single and double games of badminton at the Community Center in Ames. This is a great way to stay active during the winter.

Location: Community Center Gym, 515 Clark St.

Day: Tuesday and Thursday, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m.

Fees: $1.25

Swimming

If interested in lap swimming, Beyer Hall offers open swim. Visit the Ames Recreation Services website at www.recservices.iastate.edu for times.