Editorial: Be mindful of others while walking

Whether they just walk naturally slowly in the middle of the sidewalk, believe the sidewalk is a fashion runway or just don’t give a hoot about the students walking around them, students who walk without regard annoy the other students around them.

My kindergarten teacher taught my class the basics of walking courtesy, and it seems that some ISU students need a refresher course: Walk on the right side, at a reasonable pace, and be courteous to those who are physically disabled or on crutches.

I’m sure you have been in my position. For example, I have a class in Ross Hall followed by a class in Coover Auditorium, and I have 10 minutes to cross campus. This trip shouldn’t take more than five minutes; I’m not walking to meet Sarah Palin in Alaska, I’m walking halfway across campus. I barely make it to class on time, because I always get caught behind people who either walk too slow or without regard to others. When I walk to Coover, I find myself wishing there was an express lane on the sidewalk, or at least a way to divide the slow people from the fast.

Here are a few pointers: Some people have yet to learn the definition of “multitasking.” If you can’t walk normally while texting, wait until you get to your class. Next, stop weaving around people and impeding their cross-campus trek, it’s not a race. Also, there’s no need to walk three people side-by-side so you can have a conversation about that awesome ugly sweater party this weekend. You’re blocking traffic like Gandalf in the “Lord of the Rings,” minus the epic catchphrase of, “You shall not pass!”

Just don’t do it, OK?

The bottom line of my rant is that every student should be courteous to everyone on the sidewalk. We’re all already stressed with our classwork, so there’s no need to add to that the stress of being late to class.