Jingle Jog raises money for scholarship fund

Frances Myers

The fourth annual Andy Albright Jingle Jog will take place Friday during WinterFest 2010 — and organizers are expecting an all-time record turnout.

The Jingle Jog is a 5k fun run that is held by ISU Freshmen Council each year since 2007. It is a race in memorial of Andy Albright, a member of freshmen council before his untimely death in the fall 2005.

The race raises money for a scholarship fund in his name that is given to freshmen. In years past it has only been open to members of freshmen council, but this year it is open to all freshmen.

In order to participate in the race, students must make a payment of $15, which can now be paid at registration and check-in. This year about 500 people are signed up to participate in the fun run.

“Last year we had about 250 people register,” said Natalie [Stowe] Heiderscheit, sophomore in pre-business and fundraising co-chairwoman for freshman council. “Our goal this year was 500, and we hit that mark about a week and a half ago.”

Andy Albright was a sophomore majoring in agricultural studies and a third generation member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity. His grandfather, father and two brothers had also been members of the fraternity.

During his time at Iowa State, he “was active in Alpha Gamma Rho, serving on the fraternity’s executive board. He also was a member of the ISU Ambassadors and Cy Squad homecoming committee,” according to a news release from the Iowa State University Foundation.

Albright worked closely with freshmen in the fraternity, assisting the new initiates to get them active and settled into their fall semester courses. He was also a member of freshmen council, serving on the fundraising committee. It was in the fall of 2005 that he was killed in a car accident while he was returning from a class at Des Moines Area Community College in Boone.

In honor of Albright’s memory, a scholarship was set up in his name to recognize students of Alpha Gamma Rho who display similar characteristics as Albright’s to include, but not be limited to, “a sense of humor; observed leadership as evidenced by active participant/leadership roles in student activities, professional or community organizations; compassion to fellow fraternity brothers; and dependable and responsible to the chapter and its members,” according to the Andy Albright Memorial Scholarship criteria. Normally the scholarship is around $750, but that changed in 2010.

“Our original goal was to be able to raise enough money to move the scholarship to $1,000.” Heiderscheit said.

Due to the increased amount of participants in this year’s fun run, the increase in the scholarship fund has been made a reality. In 2010, the amount of participants has hit an all-time high since the fun run started in 2007.

The 5k fun run/walk Jingle Jog will start at the fountain behind the Memorial Union. Participants will follow a path lit by Christmas lights in a roundabout way throughout campus and will end up at Curtiss Hall.