Hate Wall symbolizes derogatory stereotypes

A student writes her thoughts on the Hate Wall on Thursday in the Free Speech Zone. The wall was later torn down to symbolize the destruction of barriers of racism and stereotypes.

Taysha Murtaugh

Several student organizations will join to destroy a wall covered in derogatory stereotypes and slang at 11 a.m. Thursday in front of Parks Library.

The two-day event, called “Hate Wall,” is hosted by the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition. APAAC collaborated with 12 other student organizations Wednesday night in the Memorial Union to discuss the way language contributes to discrimination.

“By having people write down what the words mean to them, it’s providing for more personal dialogue and awareness,” said Thao Pham, APAAC member, Hate Wall facilitator and junior in pre-business. “Hopefully this event will bring awareness about the power of language to this generation, future generations and the younger generation.”

Pham said derogatory phrases like, “That’s so gay;” “That’s retarded;” and “That’s ghetto,” are used very carelessly in everyday language.

“They perpetuate the notion that people can use these words when they’re really actually offensive,” Pham said. “People don’t often understand the history of these hurtful words.”

After discussing the personal impact such language has had on them, students were given the opportunity to write examples of hurtful phrases and words onto large boxes. These large boxes will be stacked outside the library Thursday, forming a wall of hateful terms.

“In America, the first thing people associate Islam with is extremism,” said Hassan Elahi, member of the Muslim Student Association and freshman in biology. “A lot of people associate what they see in the media with Islam. It would be nice to give people insight to clear their misconceptions about Islam.”

Nikki Cavan, APAAC member and senior in accounting, said the importance of making an effort to eliminate derogatory terms from everyday language, regardless of how difficult that may be.

Anna Howie, president of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance and junior in linguistics, said the Hate Wall is a great way to reflect on the way that we communicate and act.

“Sometimes we take for granted the things we say and … don’t realize the impact,” Howie said.

A visual representation of this impact can be found in the scattered and torn boxes Thursday afternoon. 

“I think tearing down the Hate Wall will break down barriers,” said Randy Chanthavong, APAAC member and senior in political science. “It’s a way to help people not be afraid of the differences between us but hopefully be able to celebrate them.”